EDTC 300,  Learning Project

“Tying” My Way to Success: An Introduction to My Macramé Learning Project

Over my Christmas vacation, I was given a macramé kit in a gift exchange with my family. This was a form of art that I always enjoyed looking at and wished that I could do! However, I never seemed to dive into trying it. My first-ever macramé trial was one of the most frustrating experiences I have ever had. The knots wouldn’t tie, the photos were confusing, and it just didn’t look right. There were multiple times I had to put it away and take a break to not get irritated with a bunch of strings. Since then I have not touched the kit… Although this is something I have always wanted to learn, I found myself extremely irritated with how it would not cooperate with me! 

This learning project came along at what I believe is a perfect time. One of my dogs suffered a double ACL tear at the age of five months old, this went undiagnosed for over a year. He has now been getting physical therapy for a couple of months in an attempt to avoid surgery, but that does not seem to be an option. The cost here in Saskatoon is just over $10,000 to fix both legs, but I was able to find someone in Edmonton who will Go Fund me QR code for help for dogs knee surgeryfix both for around $6,000. All of this veterinary research was occurring at the time we were discussing our learning projects. At this time I convinced myself to restart my macramé journey! With the goal of becoming skilled enough to sell products to raise funds for my dog’s surgery! I know that with this motivation I will be able to dedicate time and significant effort to learning how to excel at a skill I have wanted to learn for a long time.

To get started I did some research on different styles of macramé and what supplies are required for each style. As I learned more I decided to start with the most simple approach I could find, making keychains. This will hopefully help me get comfortable with different styled knots, patterns, and designs before diving into more complex things. I ordered some supplies My Michaels haul of suppliesfrom Michaels and began to complete my first couple of keychain styles. With the help of a fantastic blog I found, I was able to watch videos, look at photos, and view inspirational designs! I was able to create three keychains in different styles! (not my best work, but it was my first attempt and it shows me where I am in my learning journey). This time around I truly enjoyed the process, I got to destress and focus on this one task.

Beginning of a macramé keychainCompleted macramé keychain

I plan to complete around six keychains of different styles to teach myself different patterns. Once I complete those, (only if I feel comfortable) I will begin working on a small wall-hanging piece. I hope that after each project I can progress into a slightly more complicated design. I have found a few blog resources to help with designs, such as this one. I am looking forward to progressing the difficulty as I learn more, and work into more complicated designs! 

Wish me luck on this new journey!

• Lauren Buist

Hi Kendra,

Learning macrame seems like such a useful skill to have. The possibilities are endless when it comes to macrame. Keychains, wall art, even plant hangers. Can’t wait to see what you come up with. Good luck on your journey!

• Chayse Herriges

Hi Kendra!
    I am so sorry to hear about your dog…I hope you are able to raise enough money for the surgery. This is a great skill to learn and I hope all goes well. I agree with Lauren, plant hangers would be a super cool idea if that’s something you could eventually do and would be comfortable (and wanting) to do. I can’t wait to see how your journey goes! If you plan on eventually selling them, I would suggest considering making an Instagram page or TikTok account to reach a bigger audience. Best of luck to you and Apollo!

• Megan Howatt

I love your perseverance! With challenging tasks I often find it hard to keep going and stay motivated. Taking breaks when you are frustrated sounds like a healthy way to stick with your learning project and you goal to sell the products you create. I wish you and your sweet dog well on your journey!