There are so many ways to address the intrinsically homophobic, transphobic, biphobic, and oppressive behaviours in the systems we teach in. One of the first ones that comes to my mind is gender neutral bathrooms. I think back to my small town high school, where there wasn’t a single gender neutral washroom until my grade 12 year when there “became a need for one”. I put that phrase in quotes because more likely than not, there has always been a need but nobody felt comfortable enough to disrupt the “common sense.” My schools “added” gender neutral washrooms by just re-naming the staff bathrooms which happen to be on the opposite end of the school to the gendered high school bathrooms, which really creates a sense of othering. However this can be avoided, in my ECS 100 field placement all the bathrooms in the school were single stalls so that anyone could use any stall. This would also eliminate the stresses of gym class change rooms. So many people aren’t comfortable changing in front of their peers for so many reasons and by having stalls it once again eliminates the sense of othering for the people who chose to change in a stall rather than in front of everybody or the people.

When beginning to think what integrating queerness into curriculum studies means to me, I reflect on when Skyes said, “privileged voices (and violences) of White heteronormativity need to seek anticolonial, ethical encounter” (29) and “queering curriculum studies involves listening for ways I am implicit and complicit with White supremacy on theoretical, political, and personal levels” (30). These quotes stuck wit me because prior to this weeks readings, I wrongly assumed that queering the curriculum was just about gender and sexuality. However, it is much more than that and actually is more about dismantling power imbalances. I feel like one of the best ways to incorporate queerness into my classroom is to call out things such as “colonialism, white heteronormativity and capitalism” (31) everyday as I come across it. By me pointing these things out during a lessons or in a story it teaches the students to also actively pay attention to those things. To go along with this, after pointing out the problems in lessons in stories, it is also important to provide literature and lessons that provide what the problematic lessons or stories did not. This could be through books that are diverse gender, sexuality, race and family structures or having a workshop about some of these imbalances.

By maintaining a classroom free from any notion of sexuality we would just be maintaining the stigma around sexuality that we see today. Even if schools aren’t teaching anything about sexuality, that isn’t going to stop students from figuring it out on their own probably in an uneducated way and that’s the truth. So, why not properly educate students and properly fulfill the “duty of care for all students” by addressing topics such as consent, pleasure, gender spectrum, the diversity of sexualities, and the spectrum of biological sex (https://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/852195850/the-biology-of-sex). We truly are doing students an injustice throwing them out in the world without a proper education on topics regarding sexuality. However, it is extremely important that these topics are address in an inclusive and supportive way. For example, resist using male or female specific pronouns and try using gender neutral pronouns (they/them) when explaining topics like sexual health for example.