A Story From The Field

A Story From The Field

A specific story from the field I would like to share happened in week five. From the beginning of my placement, I noticed that the students in grades 1 and 2 have an obsession with sharpening their pencils. Some even hoard tiny pencils that are too small to sharpen anymore in their desks. Why they do this is beyond me. At the back of the classroom, there is an electric pencil sharpener that is quite loud, and the students always pick the worst of times to use it. In week five the students were working on an assignment in social studies and were discussing important jobs in the community. One of the students decided they needed to sharpen their pencil and it was like a chain reaction. I think ten out of sixteen students ended up at the back of the class waiting to sharpen their already sharp pencils. My cooperating teacher and I had to herd the students back to their seats so she could finish the lesson. This story may not be something I really learned from, but it’s one that made me smile. The joys of grades 1 and 2.