• EDTC 300,  Learning Project

Hello and Welcome to my Blog!

My name is Laura Githegi and I am a 23 year old education student in my second year and this is my first ever educational blog! My passion to teach came from my current Science Educator position at the Saskatchewan Science Centre where I have ongoing projects! Coming from a mixed cultural background, I enjoy learning about new cultures and have a passion to travel, learning about my heritage on the way. I hope to learn non-traditional ways of teaching from different cultures and bring those aspects into my classroom. Looking forward to what the future has to offer!

• EDTC 300

All Wrapped Up

I will start by saying that this semester was a rough one. This semester I was unmotivated to complete school and home work but even with everything going on, I continued push myself into completing my tasks. With that being said, my contribution with this classes blogs to EDTC 300 was kind of a fun task which I enjoyed! I enjoyed reading and interacting with my classmates this semester and even though this class was delivered online, it still felt like a class community to me. I appreciated comments on my blog posts which inspired my to comment more on my classmates blogs commenting, giving feedback, asking questions and motivating!!…

• EDTC 300

Is this the new norm? – A take on cybersleuthing

When I think of cybersleuthing, I think of on of my favourite shows growing up and possibly still to this day and that show is MTV’s Catfish! Catfish’s TV series was my first introduction to what people behind the screen are capable of hiding. I loved the idea of exposing and detecting who is using false identities. I like to think that because I have watched almost every episode of Catfish that I have an upper hand to identify those misleading profiles. I have never cyber sleuthed someone who I was unfamiliar with so with the activity to cyber sleuth a class member got me excited to see how my…

• EDTC 300,  Learning Project

Shapeshifters of the Coding World

Throughout my learning project, I noticed that there is a huge presence of women in the coding world. I think it is super cool that some of the greatest notes in coding history came from a woman!! Computer science is a male dominated field and I didn’t think much of it until starting my learning project. Some super cool women which I have learned about and want to share are: Ada Lovelace: Ada Lovelace was a pioneer of technology and is often referred to as the first programmer. Ada was only 17 (born in 1815 ) when she got introduced to working on engines as a mathematician. Ada made a…

• EDTC 300,  Learning Project

Im POSITIVE about this one

In my previous learning project posts, I have been focusing on the software side of coding and this week I thought I would change directions and learn more about the hardware side of coding. The software consists of the program and operating systems installed on a device, whereas the hardware consists of the physical and tangible part of the device. I wanted to start somewhere simple with tools I had lying around my apartment so I started my search! I found a simple circuit project which needed the following materials: Conductive copper tape (the path) An LED (the load) Lithium coin cell battery (the source) Paper Most of these material…

• EDTC 300

Trolled by the Trolls

How do I combat fake news? Fake news is a topic which I know exists but something I haven’t given much thought about. I like to think I can detect fake news from real news but after learning more about the subject, now I’m not so sure. I took the quiz “Can you spot the fake news headline?” ad received a 4/6 which I thought was pretty good for mostly guessing the responses. It was interesting taking this quiz because the headlines were all absurd and random, I was hoping after the quiz, it would let me know why or why not these headlines were fake. When I read articles…

• EDTC 300,  Learning Project

Challenge accepted: Scratch edition

My Scratch project! Here is the code I used to make the dinosaurs move between their costumes: Here is the code I used to make the sun change colours: I have used Scratch as a resource in one of my previous learning project posts! The last time I used Scratch I followed a tutorial that Scratch had provided, this time around I wanted to challenge myself to code on this site on my own ? When I heard that we were going to be using Scratch I got really excited to explore Scratch more and learn from others. This was a super fun mini project that also helped me with my…

• EDTC 300,  Learning Project

Coding a work of (Pixil)art: Part II

For this weeks Learning Project I wanted to practice a further understanding of how to create GIFs using Pixilart. I wanted to create something spooky/on theme for Halloween week. Last time I used Pixilart I created frames where I went from an empty pot with nothing in the pot to having a flower grow. This time around I wanted to try creating an image move around rather than be stationary, so I made a pumpkin roaming around the screen. For this GIF I used 20 frames at a frame speed of 75ms. I am a firm believer of practice makes perfect so I wanted to continue my GIF creation journey.…

• EDTC 300

Health Education and Digital Citizenship

In the SK curriculum, the subject area I found to be interesting is Health Education at a grade 3 level which I wanted to focus on making a connection with the nine elements of digital citizenship. The health field is continuously growing and finding ways to integrate technology into practices. Here are the indicators and outcomes I chose to focus more closely from the SK curriculum: Indicators (3 out of 9): Investigate the basic role of the immune system (i.e., to fight illness and/or infection). Develop common and respectful language to talk about immunity (e.g., germ, virus, vaccinations, antibodies). Predict and then investigate what happens if the immune system is…

• EDTC 300

404 error: This site can’t be reached

I find cyber security a topic which is important for all people to know about starting at a young age. Cyber security in my own words is protecting ourselves and others from online harm and to become aware of certain dangers of being online. It is so easy for anyone to turn on a computer these days, even my three year old nephew knows how to not only turn on an iPad but also how to access his favourite Cocomelon YouTube videos. When I was three years old my household didn’t have any tools to access the internet, it is fascinating how much technology has evolved in the past 20…