Week six: Numeracy and Single Story

Week six: Numeracy and Single Story

Part 1 (Numeracy): Using Gale’s lecture, Poirier’s article, and Bear’s article, identify at least three ways in which Inuit mathematics challenge Eurocentric ideas about the purpose of mathematics and the way we learn it. Inuit mathematics challenges eurocentric ideas and the purpose of mathematics in the way we learn. They have different perspectives and different approaches to math. I think it’s important to always include and each different approachest perspective. Everybody’s brain thinks differently Therefore the more options and approaches…

Read More Read More

Week Five: Curriculum and Citizenship

Week Five: Curriculum and Citizenship

What examples of citizenship education do you remember from your K-12 schooling? What types of citizenship (e.g. which of the three types mentioned in the article) were the focus?  I went to a Catholic School. we did not have a class that was specifically focussed on being a good citizen, however, we did discuss how to help others and be the hands of God on earth.  We had mandatory service hours that we had to complete every year and we’re…

Read More Read More

Week four: Treaty Education

Week four: Treaty Education

What is the purpose of teaching Treaty Ed (specifically) or First Nations, Metis, and Inuit (FNMI) Content and Perspectives (generally) where there are few or no First Nations, Metis, Inuit peoples? What does it mean for your understanding of the curriculum that “We are all treaty people”? “We are all treaty people” is a very powerful and meaningful statement. A lot of people believe that the treaties and treaty people only refer to the indigenous people of Canada. When in…

Read More Read More

Week Three: Policies and Curriculum

Week Three: Policies and Curriculum

According to the Levin article, how are school curricula developed and implemented? What new information/perspectives does this reading provide about the development and implementation of the school curriculum? Is there anything that surprises you or maybe that concerns you?  According to Ben Levin’s article, Curriculum Policy and the Politics of What Should be Learned in Schools, curricula in schools are developed and implemented by a variety of influences; the government, experts in the field, universities, civil servants etc. However the…

Read More Read More

Week two: History of Curriculum

Week two: History of Curriculum

What does it mean to be a “good” student according to the commonsense? According to common sense, to be a good student is to meet the expectations the teacher has for their students. In our society, some expectations teachers have for their students are to follow directions, be good listeners, get along with others, complete their homework on time and well done and participate in class.  However, in other societies and cultures, the expectations to be a “good student” are…

Read More Read More

Week One: The Problem of Common Sense

Week One: The Problem of Common Sense

How does Kumashiro define ‘commonsense?’ Why is it so important to pay attention to the ‘commonsense’? Kumashiro defines common sense as the knowledge that everyone knows (or should know) in society. Some things that are considered ‘commonsense’ in our western world are; eating three meals a day and washing your hands after using the washroom. Kumashiro finds out quite quickly that ‘commonsense’ to the people of Nepal is not that obvious to her. She feels lost and overwhelmed in this…

Read More Read More

Welcome!

Welcome!

“In some parts of the world, students are going to school every day. It’s their normal life. But in other parts of the world, we are starving for education… it’s like a precious gift. It’s like a diamond.” ~ Malala Yousafzai Welcome to my journey! My name is Mia Cottenie and I am just beginning my teaching journey. I am in the Secondary Education Program at the University of Regina majoring in Biology and minoring in Physical Education. This blog…

Read More Read More

Who am I?

Who am I?

My name is Mia Cottenie, and I am currently a first-year education student at the University of Regina. I am working towards earning a Secondary Education Degree with a major in Biology and a minor in Physical Education.  I hope to one day teach high school Biology and coach soccer and curling as well as help with the Student Representative Council.  I love water-skiing, downhill skiing, soccer, swimming, and most especially- I love talking! Some other facts about me include…

Read More Read More

I Believe…

I Believe…

I believe having a positive attitude is contagious.  I believe fairness isn’t necessarily equal. (everybody doesn’t necessarily need the same things) I believe in placed-based education. I believe the integration and inclusion of special needs in the classroom. I believe being organized is key to success. I believe everybody learns differently and at their own pace. I believe in discipline over punishment.