Post 6

When reading and listening to different texts regarding Which Inuit mathemarics challenge Eurocentric ideas about the purpose of mathematics and the way we learn it was interesting and refreshing.  When watching Dr Gale Russel YouTube video on Curriculum as Numeracy she brought ups some important points and the one that I resonated with was how Inuit children are taught using their personal experiences   therefore discussions that probe questions surrounding “what is going on mathematically here”?  This gives students a sense of the world around them and making connections to real life situations mathematically.  Loise Poirier article on teaching mathematics and the Inuit community had remarkably similar points to ponder.  Poirier expresses that, “paper to pencil exercises are not based on the ‘natural’ ways of learning of Inuit children”. Instead it is based on observation of elders or listening to enigmas.  One thing I found interesting was that they do not ask questions to the students they do not know the answer to.  I cannot help but wonder what the reasoning for this is?  Leroy Little Bear in his article Jagged Worldviews colliding had objectivity in place by physical observations and measurement.  He goes on to say that “In plains Indian philosophy, certain events, patterns, cycles and happenings take place in certain places.”  I cannot help but think of my own schooling and the struggles I faced in Mathematics.  My strengths in school are observation and practical work.  I thrive on observing and doing, I however am a product of the 80s and was taught to sit and do work in a txt book.  None I can say that with full truth, none of my schooling (math) had any practical/observations methods.  I taught grade 2 last year on a First Nations Reserve and realized the importance of reaching students in all different ways, tactile, observation, production, kinesthetic, we need to offer the students a variety of ways to learn.  I know my math experience would have been a lot more positive if I would have had a differentiation in my learning.