Story 2: Skin Colour

The first time I remember noticing the of skin was when the first ever black family moved in to town. They were four brothers that came to our school, and even though I didn’t know them that well and none of them were in my grade, it was still my first time noticing how different skin colour really can be. They were the talk of the town, most likely because everyone notice them when they walked down the street.

I wondered how life would be different for them with in this small white town, there dad was the head of police in our town, and I could not imagine feeling so different with a small town. I remember my grandparents always talking about them running everywhere because they lived close to each other and they were always going by, but they never brought up any other children that would walk by and there were lots that would walk by.

In that moment I realized how in are small “white” town these boys had a microscope on their actions in the town, and because of their skin tone they were always noticed in the town. When they would go to stores people would notice them first when you walked in because they stood out in our small town. The moment I realized the difference in between skin colour and how it really does separated from each other.

8 Replies to “Story 2: Skin Colour”

1. I really enjoyed reading your blog post Paityn. I could tell that your story was the first time you really noticed that a new family and their skin colour was seen as a new thing to the town . I have a connection to this story because I remember playing soccer with new family from African and they were noticed as a big part of the soccer community when they came to our town. I agree that skin colour plays a huge role in society and how we see each other . I like also liked how you put a question about how you wondered what life would be like for them in your town . That’s a very good question and I have thought of that question before too . Thanks for sharing your blog Paityn.

2. I really enjoyed your post Paityn and enjoyed your story about a new family moving to your town . This brings back a connection to me as well when a family had two boys that played soccer in my league with different skin colour . They were really noticed in my community and soccer community for their talents , but also different skin colour . I think skin colour plays a huge role in society and shows how we view each other in different cultures . Your blog was easy to follow and a good story that I could make a connection too thanks for sharing .

3. I really enjoyed reading your post Paityn and your story was very well written and used lots of good examples of how this new family was going to be viewed in your town . I can make a connection to this because I remember the first time a new family of different skin colour came to our community and it was in the sport soccer . They were very good at the sport and were noticed around the community alot because of skin colour . This shows how skin colour can make a difference in society and how people view people with different skin colour . Thanks for sharing .
    ~ Shaun wall

4. Thanks for making sure the comments don’t need to be manually approved in the future Paityn. (i.e. that they show up automatically)