Going Granny

This week I decided to try working on granny squares! I found a YouTube video that was easy to follow and I made my first granny square. The creator of this granny square video is also the creator of the video I watched that taught me to make the flowers I posted about previously. Once I had the overall concept of the granny square mastered, I decided to move on to something a bit more daunting… 

crocheted granny squares
My first two granny squares

I was eager to try and follow this pattern of a granny square top, but there was no video! The only resources I had were the blog post and the drawn out pattern. Following written instructions and a pattern was initially a bit confusing for me because usually when I stumble over a stitch I’ve never done before, there is a video showing the creator doing the stitch, but with this method I had to figure out how to do certain stitches using other sources. I had to look up how to do a treble crochet and the difference between a cluster and a shell

In attempting to use only written instructions, I found that while I was able to complete the pattern, I had to use other resources, so I prefer watching a video tutorial. I also found that it was difficult to get my square to look similar to the one on the blog post because I wasn’t able to see how far the stitches were to be pulled, or how big or small to make the chains. I ended up having to re-make this square a few times and it still looks a bit wonky (it kind of looks like a hacky sack)! I think I am going to go back to videos and maybe reattempt this pattern in the future! 

My (not-so-wonderful) attempt at following only written instructions

I also would like to make a bit of an update on my flower garden. It’s growing into what I think is going to be a table runner! Making these flowers is a really nice way of taking a break when doing school work where I am not on a screen at all since I now have the steps committed to memory! 

3 thoughts on “Going Granny”

1. Hi Raisa! I have seen so many TikToks about how to make different Granny Squares and you have now totally convinced me to give it a try! I also find that videos are much easier to follow than written instructions. The flower garden you’ve started is so cute! Can’t wait to see your progress as the weeks go on 🙂

2. Hi Raisa,

First off, these look great! Well done. I have never done any sort of crochet but many people I know do. I was shocked on how much time crocheting can take! Keep up the hard work.
    I don’t know of any apps for crocheting, however I always see different social media videos explaining how to crochet different objects. I’ve seen most on Instagram, but I’m sure their are videos everywhere.
    Zach