The Apple WILL Fall Far From the Tree

April 8, 2024 1 By Sarah Miller

In my schooling, cyber safety or digital citizenship was approached primarily through education with scare tactics rather than proper use. We were taught about the potential risks of sharing personal information online, encountering cyberbullying, and falling victim to scams.

The approach of educating students through scare tactics was not beneficial as it almost made me feel like “Oh this would never happen to me though”. By not understanding the potential risks and adopting best practices for online behaviour, I wasn’t equipped to protect myself and engage positively in online communities.

In my future classroom, I plan to approach digital citizenship by adopting a holistic and proactive approach that incorporates the nine elements of digital citizenship as outlined by Mike Ribble. These elements include:

1. Digital Access: Ensuring equal access to technology and the internet for all students.
  2. Digital Commerce: Teaching students about online purchasing, financial transactions, and consumer rights.
  3. Digital Communication: Educate students about effective and respectful communication in online environments, including email, social media, and chat platforms.
  4. Digital Literacy: Developing students’ skills to critically evaluate online information, distinguish between credible and unreliable sources, and avoid misinformation.
  5. Digital Etiquette: Promoting responsible and respectful behaviour in digital interactions, including online discussions, comments, and sharing.
  6. Digital Law: Teaching students about their rights and responsibilities under digital laws, including copyright, intellectual property, and data privacy regulations.
  7. Digital Rights and Responsibilities: Empower students to advocate for their digital rights, understand their responsibilities as digital citizens, and participate ethically in online communities.
  8. Digital Health and Wellness: Promoting balanced use of technology, educating students about the potential impact of excessive screen time on physical and mental health, and fostering habits for digital well-being.
  9. Digital Security: Teaching students about cybersecurity best practices, including password management, safe browsing habits, and protection against online threats such as malware and phishing.

To teach these elements, I would integrate digital citizenship education into various aspects of the curriculum, including technology classes, social studies, and literacy lessons. I would incorporate real-life scenarios, case studies, and interactive activities to engage students and facilitate meaningful discussions about digital issues. Additionally, I would involve parents and caregivers in digital citizenship education by providing resources and guidance for promoting safe and responsible technology use at home.

Overall, I believe that a proactive and comprehensive approach to digital citizenship education is most beneficial for students. By equipping them with the knowledge, skills, and values to navigate the digital world responsibly, we can empower them to become informed, ethical, and empowered digital citizens.