Learning Blog #15- Internet Traps

This week I have tried to be an investigator as I cyber sleuth one of my classmates. I did not know that I can be a detective. This blog was one of the fun blogs. So here are my investigation results.

I put my classmate’s name on Google and that took me to her education blog website. I got most of the information from their blogs.

Also, I was able to find their Twitter account and there was a lot of educational material shared in the tweets. Overall, her digital identity talks a lot about education, maths solutions, and video games.

So, one thing I noticed, is her digital presence is what she has decided to share via her blogs and Twitter handle. In another, she has a positive digital presence, because she shares what she wants.

Talking about digital Identity, recently I taught about digital footprint in my class. In my opinion, these two terms are very close as both deal with the online presence of an individual. In this broader sense, a digital identity is a facet of a person’s social identity and is also referred to as an online identity. Nowadays it’s very common for all of us to search for unknown people on the internet. I think our digital identity represents us in front of visible as well as invisible audiences and it is sufficient to leave a positive or negative impression of ourselves.

Sometimes our identity can be used by others to get benefits from it. As discussed in the blog My example of cybersleuthing is that catfishing is one of the activities in which people use fake digital identities to engage in online relationships. In that way using social media can create problems but with the proper knowledge, it can be an asset.