Will the Journey Continue?

My learning project was a great way for me to get back into the swing of things and play some piano. At the beginning of this journey I had big goals, that I soon realized were un realistic. Although I wanted to be able to play long elaborate pieces, my end goal was having a better understanding of how to play piano, and enjoying it.  

Looking at various videos, websites, and apps I discovered it was not as easy to learn how to play piano and read sheet music online as I thought. I did find some great tools, and resources that helped with my learning process however I found it hard not to have a set teacher, or a set place to go for questions. 

The first few weeks I really focused on note reading. I practiced drawing notes in week two, and although I did not document all of it, I continued to practice drawing notes throughout. This was a lot tougher than I thought, and definitely one of the things that looked easy as I watched someone do it, but I needed lots of practice.

Week 3 and week 4 I really tried to put my learning to the piano. To me it seemed like two totally different aspects, playing piano and reading notes. During these two weeks I realized I made an unrealistic goal and I began getting frustrated with my progress, or lack of at this point. I was still practicing as much as I could, but I still had a lot of work to go.

This is when I really decided to focus more on the enjoyment of learning the Piano and not the outcome of playing the piano. As I found fun apps to aid in my learning, and watch educational videos more for fun, I noticed I gained more of an appreciation for the piano.

I might not be able to play great, but this learning project has taught me a lot. I think it is important to be willing to change goals, and adapt learning. Although I was hesitant to admit I couldn’t reach my original goal, I was much more successful ones I tailored to my needs.

Now that I have a solid base understanding of piano I hope to continue playing for enjoyment to further my skills.