Flowers are this girls best friend

Flowers are this girls best friend

Some girls want diamonds. Some girls want pearls. Some girls just need the words and daily acts of love. I am the girl that appreciates the flowers! You can send them on my birthday, on Valentine’s Day, and on those just because occasions….I will appreciate them all! To my husband, and out loud in a group, I might say I don’t NEED them….but full disclosure, I definitely WANT them. I actually adore them. I always have. I know flowers don’t last forever, but I feel like that feeling of receiving a bouquet of REAL flowers from someone you care about, just kind of lives in you, in some kind of way, don’t you think? There’s just something about having fresh flowers around, arranged in a way that makes colours pop and a connection to nature strong….

As a little girl, I remember going into our local flower shop, and watching the florist throw together beautiful bouquets. She made it look like the easiest thing in the world! I remember visiting our family farm and playing “florist”. I would pick wildflowers, arrange them, and “sell” them to my siblings and relatives.

For my wedding day, I decided, how hard could floral arranging be? I pretty much spent my whole childhood preparing for this right? I purchased a bunch of Costco Hydrangeas and Baby’s Breath and I put together all our flowers the night before our wedding. They turned out beautifully, but it was then that I learned there must be an actual science behind it because it definitely wasn’t as easy as it looked. I was proud of them. They were pretty simplistic, but I did not make it look easy. In fact, it was a bit of a struggle.

Amateur florist's bouquets, but they turned out alright!
Amateur florist’s bouquets, but they turned out alright!
Late night arranging
Baby’s Breath and Hydrangea- as simple as it gets.

I didn’t want to give up this self- proclaimed talent so I also recently put together flowers for my husband’s Grandma’s funeral, and honestly, as I was arranging them, I was thinking “I should really learn how to ACTUALLY do this.” Low and behold….EDTC300 heard my call. Over the next 10 weeks, I am going to commit to learning all I can about the art of floral arrangement. I am so excited to take you along on this journey!

A quick google search revealed an article titled  8 Simple Steps to Arrange Flowers Like a Pro.

It is a starting point for me as it provides some new vocabulary that already has me thinking and talking like a real florist; vessel, focal flowers, filler flowers, monochromatic schemes. I have decided to get my hands on some artificial flowers to begin playing around with. Stay tuned!