Course Profile the origins of the Cultural Diversity and Impact of the Land on the Lifestyles and Settlement Patterns in Saskatchewan communities.(Grade 4)

Overview and Course Description

It will be a preparatory course for students in elementary school. In my course, the causes of the cultural variety in communities in Saskatchewan will be described. Many Indigenous communities, including First Nations, Métis, and Inuit peoples, may be found in Saskatchewan. The distinctive cultural traditions, dialects, and practices of these communities add to the province’s cultural variety. It will serve as a prerequisite subject for primary school students. Students will research and learn about many cultures in this course. I want the students to have a thorough awareness of cultural values. Teachers must be knowledgeable of the province of Saskatchewan’s history and topographic scenario. Overall, the interaction of historical, social, economic, and political circumstances that have produced the province’s diverse population can be blamed for the cultural diversity in Saskatchewan localities.

Photo by https://giphy.com

Targeted Population( Age, Grade, Gender)

The audience for this subject is students in grade 4, who are the target group for this learning. They range in age from 6 to 12. At this age, kids start examining their environment and beginning to wonder about the various shapes of the items. Here, we’ll construct two distinct programs to aid pupils in understanding cultural diversity and beginning to understand the fundamental distinctions between various cultural groups.

Course Timeline

There will be at least four weeks throughout the course. The instructor will need to be flexible when delivering the course material and evaluate their audience to see if any topics need more or less attention or if any students are struggling to keep up with their learning and tasks. Furthermore, because this course supports what the students are learning in other subject areas, the instructor may need to alter deadlines and coursework to suit the needs of the students.

Course Format (Online/ Blended/ Synchronous, Asynchronous)

This course’s primary goal is to establish an asynchronous learning environment where students can increase their knowledge and learn faster. Additionally, synchronous activities like debates, Q&A sessions, and group discussions are necessary so that students can easily access their course materials in an asynchronous manner and efficiently synthesize their learning. By taking into account the features of flipped classrooms, this course has been specifically created for both in-person and online instruction to promote the mixed learning method. The main objective of this technique is to aid students in understanding the learning assessment, textual descriptions, and video explanations connected to their course. The students will also be able to evaluate themselves to determine their strengths and shortcomings, make goals for themselves, and demonstrate strong organizational abilities. Technology is usually my preference while teaching because it gives the kids something to be proud of and increases their self-efficacy. By holding students responsible, it keeps them constantly aware of what is happening in the classroom.

Photo by https://giphy.com/gifs/HopkinsWrestling

Toolset for the course

My main platform will be Google Classroom. Although I am pretty familiar with it, I still need to learn more about it in order to use it more effectively for the benefit of my pupils. Along with the homework and exercises that have been provided, I will use some instructive films. Moving on, the teaching resources I’m using here include some photographs with guided discussion, PPT notes, and online notes in pdf format. In addition, I favor using Kahoot because it is a user-friendly tool. Additionally, I’ll use Jam boards to encourage dialogue and discussion among the students and let them express their thoughts. In addition, I will chat with my students in small groups to find out whether they are experiencing any academic challenges. Likewise, I’ll give them honest comments so they feel more comfortable talking to me about their issues. I might also offer them to come meet me in person if they feel more at ease doing

Another option  for  learning materials, objectives, and assessment data will be recorded in Canvas. Parent/Teacher/Student communication will also take part in the LMS.

Demographics

All of the students taking this course nowadays have access to modern technologies like laptops and computers. The population of Regina, the capital of Saskatchewan, is very diversified, which greatly diversifies the audience that is being targeted. The population is more diverse since not everyone has access to technology equally. Due to this, there may be a range in the student body, but the bulk of them have easy access to technology, and even those who have difficulty getting it can use it in the classroom.

Course material

The course material used here is according to the grade of the student. Teaching cultural diversity to second-grade students in Regina can be an engaging and enriching experience. Role-playing games: such as “Guess the Tradition” allows students to describe a cultural practice or custom while others try to identify the culture to which it belongs. Encourage children to dress up in traditional garb from other cultures for “Cultural Dress-Up” and describe their ensembles to the class. Keep in mind that all materials and activities should be modified to account for the unique requirements and cultural variety of the Regina pupils. The goal is to establish a welcoming, courteous learning atmosphere that encourages respect for and knowledge of many cultures.

Course objective

The learning outcomes included  Saskatchewan Grade 4th social science curriculum are intended to be addressed every day through the asynchronous, blended learning environment of this course objectives includes, Recognize that people come from various cultural backgrounds and that these distinctions ought to be acknowledged and valued. Recognize and value the distinctiveness of many cultures, including their practices, languages, and traditions. Using a variety of extra materials is essential to ensuring that students comprehend the topic. When demonstrating the task, I would use tangible objects, visual aids, and drawings. All students, especially ESL students, will find it simpler to understand the curriculum thanks to these teaching aids. The course materials used to teach second-grade pupils in Regina about cultural diversity should be created to promote understanding, respect, and admiration for many cultures. These objectives can be accomplished by using a number of materials. To explore the significance of embracing diversity and human similarities, books like “The Name Jar” by Yangsook Choi, “The Colors of Us” by Karen Katz, and “Whoever You Are” by Mem Fox can be incorporated. Making multicultural masks, designing flags of other nations, and constructing a class “Cultural Diversity” collage are just a few of the art and craft projects that promote hands-on participation and artistic expression. We can incorporate music and dance by taking in ethnic music, learning about other dance styles, or even by setting up cultural dance performances. Playing games and acting out scenarios, like “Guess the Tradition” or “Cultural Dress-Up,” can make learning engaging and fun. Additionally, the curriculum should promote empathy and teamwork, promote reflection on stereotypes and prejudices, and draw attention to the cultural diversity of the neighborhood. In DR 4.1  Students can Compare how Saskatchewan’s inhabitants’ ways of life and patterns of settlement are affected by the terrain. In DR 4.2 Students can get a deeper awareness and respect of cultural diversity in Regina and beyond by utilizing a variety of resources and activities.

Indicators for this outcome

(a) Determine the historical locations of the various First Nations tribes and linguistic clusters in Saskatchewan before the arrival of the Europeans.

(b) Describe the manner in which Saskatchewan’s First Nations population helped early European immigrants survive.

(c) Explain the history of European immigration to Saskatchewan, including those who came for economic (explorers, fur traders, homestead farmers) and religious (Mennonites, Hutterites, Doukhobors) reasons.

(d) Explain the motivations behind why European immigrants left their home countries and chose to settle in Saskatchewan, paying special attention to the local area and/or the specific student families.

(e) Describe the struggles that Saskatchewan’s First Nations, Métis, and immigrants have encountered throughout history and in the present through speech, writing, theatre, multimedia, or another form.

Assessment methods

Formative assessment is the most crucial component in evaluating a student’s development; in fact, it is the most successful type of evaluation for improving student comprehension and performance. Use of Kahoot, Google Classroom Questions, Google Forms, Google Meet Up, Google Chat, and Jam Board may put this into practice. The final project, which will produce one final report, will act as the summative evaluation. Additionally, as an instructor, you will provide feedback verbally or in writing. The monthly progress of the kids will also be represented graphically. We can set up alternate meetings with their parents once a month, as well as some face-to-face time, so that one can discuss their child progress in more efficient way.

Special considerations

Student attendance: Because the course is taught utilizing a blended approach, students who are absent but have access to technology and the internet can still complete their education at their own pace. If students find it impossible to attend the classes, scheduling video meetings, chat sessions, or email exchanges would be useful for them.

Wifi: Accessing Wifi may be challenging for some of our families. Consider suggesting that kids visit the neighborhood library or look into other options for how the school district might be able to help them if they don’t have access to a hotspot, the internet, or Wifi at home.

EAL students: It’s critical to provide the finest support for English language learners because some students will need subtitles and a combination of written instruction and visuals to make the material relevant. We might also teach students how to use Google Translate and give them adequate time to complete their coursework.

Technology access at home and at school: If a student doesn’t have access to technology at home, they can do their work in class or, if they will be out of class for a long period, they can borrow technology. Additionally, flexible scheduling should be used in schools to provide pupils more time to connect with technology.

Aim Sheet

The pupils should be provided the following sheet to serve as a guideline for structuring their goals.

1)       I am a social studies student.———————————————–

2)       My areas of expertise in social studies are—————————

3)       Among my social studies deficiencies are———————————-

4)        The ways I intend to enhance our learning——————————-

Thanks Everyone, My link to (ADDIE Model Template)