Learning to Plan Evidence

Indigenization, Decolonization, and/or Reconciliation Education

Conflict Resolution (Unrevised)

Conflict Resolution (Revised)

This is a lesson that I did not originally conduct with Indigenous ways of knowing in mind, but one in which they could be easily and effectively incorporated. I was able to only cover one problem solving method when I originally taught this lesson, but if I was to teach it again, with more time, I would add in some Indigenous perspectives and ways of resolving conflicts. I would add in a few of the Treaty Education Learnings (TR2.1 & HC 2.3) as well as another grade two social studies outcome (PA2.1). I would add in a way of sharing and conducting a group discussion that is rooted within some Indigenous ways of knowing, and would also include more questioning and discussion about the ways in which other cultures or communities of people may make decisions or choose solutions for problems and conflicts. I would emphasize the concept of consensus that is often used by Indigenous Peoples for decision making, and would also discuss how the talking circle is used so that everyone’s voice is heard.

Education For Social & Ecological Justice

Week 5- Exploring Scents of Liquids and Solids

In this lesson I made use of several different instructional strategies in order to better support my students. To begin, I was teaching more directly, using questioning to have students review and recap the properties and characteristics they had been learning to use to identify and differentiate solids and liquids. I then moved into using a structured overview, during which I explained exactly what we would be doing during the class. For the development of the lesson, I utilized the Gradual Release of Responsibility Instructional Strategy: I first demonstrated to the students how they would fill out the chart alone up on the board, I then had them fill in a row of the chart on the board with me to ensure that they grasped the concept, I then divided them into groups and had them begin to conduct the activity on their own. I also utilized centers, to some extent, for this activity. I had several different familiar liquids and solids and had them on different tables so all of the students were able to finish at one table before moving on to the next. I also used cooperative learning groups. I grouped the students so that they would be able to support each other if there was an unfamiliar liquid or solid, and also so they could ask and support each other in spelling and filling out the charts. This activity as a whole lent itself well to small group discussions. Overall, I was able to make use of several drastically different instructional strategies in order to differentiate and make this lesson helpful and effective for most if not all of the students.