Image result for learners

My learners are independent, full of energy, grade five students! They spent a lot of their time working independently on assignments, cleaning up after themselves and making their own decisions. Although they were doing a lot of work on their own, they still managed to socialize and not miss a thing when it came to their classmates. They encouraged one another in reading different stories and helped their classmates fill in the blanks in their literature assignment this past Tuesday. Each student seemed to have a spark when it came to their science class, being able to relate the new cloud information they had just received with the weather outside that day seemed to make it more fun for them. My learners were full of curiosity, each set of information led to more and more questions. Meeting me for the first time, the students had many questions about who I was as a person as well as my experiences at the University of Regina.

My learning environment was very full and busy. The students had all their desks fairly close together, constantly hopping from desk to desk to ensure they didn’t miss an opportunity of talking with any of their classmates. The walls were filled with art that helped me get to know each student a little bit past just their names. I could look around the classroom and know exactly what they were discussing in each topic, lots of reminders of math and literature rules to keep them focused. This grade five class had lockers within their classroom, which is something I never had as a student. In my school we only had lockers in high-school and they were throughout the hallways. I learned that you need to have an appropriately loud voice just to grab every students attentions after each break, pulling them from their interesting conversations between other students and getting them ready for listening and learning takes a lot. I don’t remember a lot from my grade five class, I know the social aspect was very familiar, keeping each student focused on the lesson and their worksheet is a large part of an educators job at this age!

Image result for learners