August 4th, 2020

Treaty education is important for recognizing and learning about who we all are, where we have come from, and what the land we live off of means. Regardless of who is learning it, it is a part of where we live and how we live. I actually find it kind of bizarre when people bring up the idea that they do not need to teach Treaty education because their class does not consist of First Nations, Metis, or Inuit Peoples. This document isn’t called “For First Nations/Metis/Inuit Peoples Only”, I have no idea where people get the idea that understanding Treaties is not for and extremely beneficial for everyone residing in Canada. I would emphasize that we teach Treaty education to and for all people of Canada. Teaching Treaty Education not only brings awareness to Canada’s history and communities but also what it means to be a part of our Country. Just the same as learning what it means to be respectful and a good part of our community in health class, we need to understand what our obligations to our Country and community are. “We are all Treaty people”, we all play a part in keeping peace and respect throughout our country, we are not able to uphold our promises and contributions without really understanding them to begin with.  

1 Comment

1. Sabrina Shackleton

Hey Brittany

I find your post bring up many great concerns. One being that you found it doesn’t matter who you are, it is very important to learn about the land we all live on and the true story behind it. I really love how you related treaty education to the aspects of respect and what obligations we have. How would you explain that treaty education and respect aspect to students in your classroom? I also agree with you that we are not able to uphold promises if we don’t fully understand them. So how could we go about doing that?