Baking Tools

The blog site I am following has recommended must haves for cake decorating & nice to have items.

Some things that I learned about this particular topic was that there are more then one kind of cakekitchen utensil scraper! There are ones that put designs into the cake and one that flattens out the buttercream. Who knew? Not me! Another tidbit of information I gained was about icing spatulas; the straight one is for applying icing to the sides and the off set spatula is for the center and top layers.

So I am off to purchase a few items to help me along this process (some things I already have). Once I get signed up for the online class I will also see if there will be more items I need to purchase to get going. For the next 6ish weeks, I can foresee the staff at my school are going to be getting some weekly desserts…

Need to Purchase: 

• offset spatula
  • acrylic disk
  • cake leveler
  • cake lifter
  • more cake boards
  • drip bottle

My Favorite and Most Essential Cake Decorating Tools

4 thoughts on “Baking Tools

1. Oh my, Christine. I admire you so much for taking this on. Cake decorating is no joke. I had no idea there are so many tools needed. I tried to make a cake from scratch for my oldest son’s first birthday, and to say it was a flop is an understatement. I thought I would take a second stab at it for his 8th birthday and make the cakes from scratch AND decorate it. I bought a piping bag and tips and everything. Absolutely disaster. I now pay other people to make the beautiful cakes, and I’m at peace with that. Hahaha. Needless to say, it’s a gift, and girl, I can’t wait to watch you rock it. I would love to be on your staff to try out your cakes and see all your creations. Get it.

1. From my experience this weekend, the amount of time it takes to make a cake from scratch and follow the online class I am taking for it was A LOT. However stay tuned for my play by play with tag along pictures for how it went (you might chuckle a bit). I will give all the credit to those people who can make beautiful cakes, I can appreciate the time that must go into them; all I did was so minimal in comparison.

2. I’m excited to see your final project Christina! Are you a creative person by nature? I tried to dabble with cake decorating, but found most of my creativity is all in my head, but never with the execution! LOL I found having a cake plate that rotates as you decorate was the most useful tool as it made decorating that must smoother. I also bought all my icing tips from amazon as it was cheapest. Good luck with the cake! I will be following along 🙂

1. I wish I was more creative by nature or there may be moments where I think I am and then things never turn out the way I wish they had. I am hoping to find some good baking tools in our local Walmart; our Bulk Barn burnt down so I am left to look elsewhere now or make a trip into Regina.