Instant Gratification-Deprecation

Instant Gratification-Deprecation

I would say that this term sum up my interaction with social media and my phone to some extent. Instant gratification comes in the way of likes or positive comments on my Facebook feed. Or perhaps when I kill it on a project and get a great grade.  These feelings are almost euphoric, they can be fleeting but are great in the moment. The instant Diverse people holding happy emoticonsswitch can also flip on to a feeling of deprecation, or a bad feeling. Perhaps someone strongly disagrees with a post that I am emotionally invested in, or perhaps I did poorly on an assignment that I thought I did well in. When running this gamut by simply opening my phone I have tried to skew the race so that I end up in the gratification zone. I have curated my Facebook friends list and algorithms to such a point that I don’t see right-wing rhetoric trash that I hate. I am ruthless with my friends list, you get one warning, and then you are out, I don’t wantUnrecognizable man hiding his face behind crying sad emoticon emoji you messing with my algorithms or my feelings. It is to this end, that I haven’t gotten on any other social media trends, every time I try I am inundated with so much toxic and crap content that I bail immediately. Do I like old Zuckerberg and his pilfering of my data, no, however, I have accepted it and use his tech to make my experience more enjoyable and meaningful.  I have read many articles like this to understand how the algorithms work. Here is a great video that gives some awesome and useful strategies.

Productive Strategies

I’m from an older generation, when I grew up it was exciting when our school got its first HP computer(still not internet). So I have been slow to adopt many apps for productivity. Most that I have tried to frustrate me to no end as I get locked out of my phone when I need to check something outside my own assigned hours. So I deleted them. One thing howeverSwitch Computer To Sleep Mode that I have found useful is the built-in sleep mode on my Android device. It is fairly intuitive and makes it so my phone is nice and chill after 9 pm (no stressful emails or weird updates). My other tried and true method for productivity is to simply leave my phone upstairs when I go downstairs to work. Without it vibing and doing stuff beside me I don’t feel the need to check something and then end up in a half-hour-long rabbit hole trying to figure out how radios work. This leads nicely to my last point

Boundaries 

Having good and healthy boundaries is the key to so many of life’s best treasures: relationships, getting along with your cat, enjoying tech, work, etc. I live and thrive on healthy boundary setting. This is a lesson that my partner has taught me and something that I will forever be grateful for. Before her, I put everything into work, and relationships and end limit boundary text engraved in wooden signpost outdoors in nature during sunset and pink skies.played with nothing in between the 3, one would always win out. With healthy boundaries you can happily have all of these things, with all of these things also being happy if that makes sense. For example, I leave work at work, by never having work emails on my phone as a rule, so I have to open my laptop to see anything work-related. We also have no phones at the dinner table, our dinner table is for an abundance of food and family, where we enjoy each other’s company and share about our collective days.

This entry was posted in EDTC 300. Bookmark the permalink.