Digital Citizenship in Schools

In the present environment, everyone is inclined towards using technological tools or applications. We have started using apps for things which in the past we use to do on our own… Additionally, teachers are also using technology to make classes interactive and engaging. Kids are using apps to connect with each other, to learn, to do their homework. I agree with the fact that these tools have given us a sense of ease but it also has caused many hardships in our lives. Undeniably, lack of knowledge is the reason for the challenges we are facing in this digital world. However, everything has its advantages and disadvantages but it is our duty as adults/teachers/parents/guardians to guide the younger generation about it. Also, despite the fact that teachers know how important it is to teach digital citizenship, many still find it difficult to implement. The idea of technology should be used to help issues in the classroom, not make it more stressful and confusing.   

This week I read a lot about the role of schools, teachers and parents/guardians in teaching digital citizenship to kids. Indeed, there is an urgent need to teach this to our kids… But the question is HOW??? Every reading made me realize that first, we need to provide our teachers and parents with this knowledge. Once they become friendly with these tools they can teach guide kids. Second, these skills should be practiced and reinforced at home as well. On the other hand, everytime I discuss this with my colleagues and peers, the only concern that is highlighted is that the parents are not willing to attend these sessions. Even if the school board tries to organize this for parents/guardians, they are not willing to attend it, only a few parents who understand the need and urgency of this literacy are present in these sessions. This lack of awareness is affecting many lives… Everything can’t be left on just teachers… Schools and homes both need to work together on times when the use of technology is appropriate and when there are times it needs to be set aside.

If I talk about myself, being an educator for the last 5-6years, even I never thought about teaching digital literacy to kids… This course made me realize the content I was missing out in my teachings!!

We teach students skills in the physical world to protect them–“Look both ways when crossing the street,” “Don’t touch a hot stove,” etc. But how do these translate into the digital space? We must explain when and where to share information, how to interact with others without visual cues, etc. This cannot stop with one lesson but needs to be retaught at every level and built upon. (Source: https://www.techlearning.com/resources/digital-citizenship-framework-updated) This statement made me think about the role of guidance and teaching in a child’s life. Digital citizenship is not centred on just one course or a subject or just a lesson, it is an ongoing process and it must be taught again and again. Moreover, we must start teaching this to kids at a younger age so that kids are able to build a base of understanding for themselves. This base will help them to use their knowledge when they start using technological tools at a vast range.

As I mentioned earlier, I have never discussed this theme in my classroom. In my city (where I was a teacher), parents are thought to be responsible for teaching kids about adequate use of technological tools. I still remember that if a child was caught doing something inappropriate in school on his digital tool then we were asked to inform his misbehaviour to his parents. They were considered as the incharge of their kid’s digital behaviour. I strongly disagree with this practice as I believe it is a joint venture among teachers and parents. We are responsible to guide and help students with it… Our curriculum does have a section for providing digital literacy but most of the time it is being ignored. And by chance, if a teacher plans to conduct a lesson about it then it would just be a PowerPoint presentation with no follow-up questions/discussions. So, if it is not ignored then also it is just considered as a responsibility which has to be completed by the teacher.

The day when teaching digital literacy will be considered as a responsibility, not as a burden then only…..it will be fruitful for our society.

With respect to the future, being an educator, first of all, I would like to create awareness about it. Parents and guardians must understand the need for teaching and learning Digital Citizenship. Secondly, I would like to add this as an individual course/subject which should be taught to students…. the lesson plannings must involve the use of interesting technical tools/games. This will not only motivate the students but will also encourage the teachers to search for new activities and guide students. Also, I would like to mention the need of providing a platform for students to discuss their views, many times kids are not able to express themselves… they are not able to share the problems they are facing in their lives, So, I think a friendly platform will be helpful for kids where they can discuss and get guidance from their teacher/parents. In reference to digital citizenship, I am also trying to learn and understand its concepts on daily basis… But I have understood the need for proper integration of Digital Citizenship into the curriculum which will support teachers and students.