ECS 100

Final Reflection

For my first field placement I was placed at Thomson community school. I’m so grateful that I was placed at Thomson. I can’t thank our host teacher, Jennifer enough for all the opportunities, advice, and hospitality that she gave us in her classroom. I admire the positive and fun environment that she creates for her Kindergarteners – She quickly became my inspiration for the future teacher that I aspire to be. What I loved most about this field experience was how willing Jennifer was to make sure we got as much exposure to the school as possible. Having opportunities like helping the grade eight teacher with reading assessments, planning our own crafts, getting asked questions by the students and even going to Campus Regina is more than I ever expected out of this field placement. I can’t thank everyone involved enough for making this happen.

Even though my field placement was cancelled after only five short weeks due to COVID19, I took away such valuable lessons that I’ll carry throughout my career. Thomson is filled with an incredible team who have taught me the value of working in a community school with students from all walks of life. The biggest lesson that I have taken away from my time at Thomson is that respect, kindness, and understanding is the backbone of a successful classroom. You can spend all the time in the world planning your lessons, making sure your classroom looks pretty, and being as organized as possible, but if you don’t take the time to know your students, and really listen to them and understand where they’re coming from, chances are you will not break through to them.