Truth and Reconciliation

I would like to begin by acknowledging that we are on treaty land, referred to as Treaty 4 Territory and that the City of Regina and all the people here are beneficiaries of this treaty. Treaty 4 encompasses the lands of the Cree, Saulteaux (SO-TOE), Dakota, Nakota, Lakota, and on the homeland of the Métis Nation. We respect and honour the Treaties that were made on all territories, we acknowledge the harms and mistakes of the past, and we are committed to move forward in partnership with Indigenous Nations in the spirit of reconciliation and collaboration.

turtle - truth - tapwewin

The best thing you can do for yourself is to stop, look at your life, and reflect. Information is gathered in this way. It’s never too late to get better. I went back to school to advance my education, and it was there that I realized I am only at the beginning of my path to reconciliation, and that I still have a long way to go. What was thought to be true yesterday may not be true at all today because the world is always changing. While difficult, keeping up is not impossible. But, you will never grow as a person if you maintain your ignorance and resistance to change.

eagle - love - sâkihitowin

I was brought up to be unaware of my white privilege. I was seldom ever exposed to people of any different ethnicity, religion, or culture during my years in elementary and high school. On the bus, I never had to second-guess where to sit. Nobody has ever followed me around a store when I was shopping. I never had to enquire about someone’s name pronunciation. They had just returned from a sunny vacation if anyone was tanned. I grew up in a small, segregated family in a community with very little cultural diversity. Although we are not racist and have in no way caused anyone any harm or resentment, we weren’t always friendly or willing to try new things. I wasn’t asking enough questions and learning about other people who didn’t look like me. 

bear - courage - sôhkitêhêwin

The more I learn about Indigenous Peoples’ history, the more I want to learn. I’m interested in hearing their stories. I’d like to be a friend. We’ve heard a lot about residential schools and how terrible they were for the children who attended them in recent years. This isn’t breaking news, and it doesn’t have to be. Every child is significant. It only recently became a global movement as we discovered more and more unmarked graves. Many generations of people have suffered, but only a few have lived to tell the tale. We not only had a problem and a disaster with the schools, but we also stole their land and resources by breaking a promise.

buffalo - respect - manâtcihiwewin

I used to be embarrassed by my ignorance and unawareness. But how can I be sorry for doing something I didn’t realize was wrong? But I’m embarrassed. Shame on me for failing to ask more questions and for failing to take the initiative to learn more. Pay closer attention. I intend to spend more time in the future connecting with the land that they helped build and grow. I intend to make the most active use of my resources as possible. I want to make sure that my way of life is welcoming. When I have my own classroom and have to create lesson plans, I will make them as inclusive as possible. I want to make certain that every one of my students, along with their families, feels included and accepted. 

beaver - wisdom - iyinisowin 

I created a dream catcher that I will display in my room as part of my aesthetic presentation. Native Americans have the view that both pleasant and bad dreams can be found in the night air. Dreams are captured when they pass by the dream catcher when it is hung over or close to your bed and allowed to swing freely in the air. The good dreams are skilled at slipping through the openings in the dream catcher and gliding down the soft feathers so delicately that frequently the dreamer is unaware that they are dreaming. Unable to find their path, the negative dreams become entangled in the dream catcher and pass away with the dawn of a new day. It’s a lovely illustration, and I added a braid hanging from the bottom as well as the colours of the Treaty 4 flag. Indigenous Cultures view the braid as being highly symbolic. Their hair ties them not only to the earth and creator but also to their history and ancestors. Hair that has been braided represents power, knowledge, and respect for the past. Also, I wanted to have an orange-tinged daily reminder that every child matters to honour orange shirt day. 

big foot - honesty - ka kwayaskwesihcikewnihk 

I used to believe that treating everyone fairly and equally was the answer. Yet, that would only be possible if we all started off at the same level. In general, the concept of equality is that all societal groups should have equal access to opportunities and support. But we are so far above that; we are not even close to being on the same level. To attain more fairness of outcomes, equity goes a step further and refers to providing various degrees of support based on need. Being inclusive, varied, and adaptive are key. I’ll make sure to choose thoughtfully and without selfishness, and I’ll continue to learn. It’s necessary to admit your errors, as was previously said. It is our responsibility to adapt and continue setting a good example for our kids and others around us as future educators. I’ll accomplish this by fostering inclusiveness and ongoing learning in my classrooms. There is no lack of resources, cash, or knowledge in this universe. The true issues in this world are ones of generosity and love. I own my mistakes, but I won’t put up with any more ignorance. 

wolf - humility - peweyimowin

In conclusion, my path to forgiveness and reconciliation is a never-ending one. I continue my personal journey towards reconciliation by taking part in and honouring Indigenous contributions to our world, remembering the devastating results of Residential Schools, and fighting for the inclusion of Indigenous creation narratives in school curricula. These are only a few of the several things I am doing as part of my own personal journey towards peace. The public remembering of the pain and suffering endured by Indigenous people is an essential element in the healing process. I’m going to come back to this paper later in my education and my career to see how far I’ve come towards reconciliation.

References: 

“Online Cree Dictionary, Cree Language, Cree: Words, Alberta Elders’ Dictionary, Maskwacis.” Online Cree Dictionary, Cree Language, Cree: Words, Alberta Elders’ Dictionary, Maskwacis, 4 Sept. 2021, www.creedictionary.com.

“Land Acknowledgement Treaty 4.” Land Acknowledgement Treaty 4, 4 Apr. 2023, saskschoolboards.ca/services/first-nations-and-metis-education-services/land-acknowledgement-treaty-4.

Hamilton, Wawmeesh, et al. “How an Indigenous Cartoon Taught a Real Life Lesson.” The Discourse., 10 Apr. 2018, thediscourse.ca/urban-nation/newsletter-indigenous-cartoon-taught-real-life-lesson.

“Equality Vs Equity – Difference and Comparison | Diffen.” Equality Vs Equity – Difference and Comparison | Diffen, www.diffen.com/difference/Equality-vs-Equity.