Wrap It Up & Stitch It Down

It’s been quite the experience to start learning how to use my embroidery machine. Picture this: a university assignment hovering over me, the task at hand – to learn a new skill using online resources. I decided to dive headfirst into the world of digital stitching and come out on the other side with a newfound skill. It sounds intimidating, doesn’t it? Well it was in the beginning!

I was quite confused when I turned on my embroidery machine for the first time. The computerized graphics, hoop sizes, and thread tension were all unfamiliar terms to me. The fun part is that I didn’t let the initial difficulty stop me. You see, I have a deep-seated passion for all things crafty. Making things, be it knitting, crocheting, or scrapbooking, has always brought me comfort. So I jumped straight into the realm of machine embroidery, equipped with determination and an abundance of online resources.

After a few weeks, I’m happy to report that I’ve not only mastered the fundamentals but also discovered a brand-new passion. I’ve come to see the enormous potential this ability holds for my small side business, beyond just succeeding in my university assignment. Imagine personalized wall art with delicate stitching, monogrammed tote bags, and possibly even custom-designed clothing. The options are as unlimited as my goals.

The point is, though, that I’m not stopping here. Focused on surpassing my own expectations, I’ve set my sights on bigger and greater projects. Therefore, accompany me on my journey as I proceed to navigate the world of needlework, one stitch at a time.

A recap of every post:

Week 1- Threaded Tales: Unraveling the Art of Embroidery

• Introduced my crafty self and other crafts I have made in the past

Week 2 – Stitchin’ Stories

• My first project! (Got very lucky it was successful)
The trial backpack! My own in case there was any mistakes.

Week 3 – Navigating the Threads of Learning

• Learning the Software and realizing some first mistakes

Week 4 – TikTok 101: From Curiosity to Creativity

• Made one of my first TikTok’s showcasing a project of mine!
@jordyn.e.osborne

babe’s first outfit —> an eternal sweater 🥹 #embroidery #diy #mamajs

♬ counting stars – audiosqv

Week 5 – Adapting Goals and Growing

• Realized I haven’t shown my lovely machine yet, so posted a pic of that!
  • Resetting some goals and posting to my side-gig instagram, @_mama.js ,  to bring in more orders!

Week 6 – Crafty Keychain Chronicles

• Trying to make some new keychains for my cheerleading gym

Week 7 – Band together with Digital Efficiency

• Creating a Google Form for a mass order!

Week 8 – Triumphs & Trials

• Lots of mistakes to overcome! Broken needles, wrong threads, ripped products.

Week 9 – Overcoming Technical Issues and Discovering Surprising Thoughts

• Finding a YouTube who has lots of resources to help me along the way!

Week 10 – Crafting Meets Loyalty

• A repeat customer ordered a second product from me <3
Finished project!

Week 11 – Wrap It Up & Stitch It Down

Personal Assessment:

Next, let’s discuss assessment. When I think back on my experience becoming an embroidery machine “expert”, I am drawn to assess not just the technical abilities I have gained but also the personal development that goes along with it. My assessment’s initial goals were to become knowledgeable with the machine’s fundamental features, including learning about its complexities, resolving typical problems, and being acquainted with its different stitches and methods.

However when I learned more about the craft of needlework, my evaluation standards grew beyond simple technical ability. I discovered that I was evaluating my capacity for innovation and adaptation, for thinking outside the box and bringing my ideas to life. Every project turned into an opportunity for me to reflect on myself, challenge my limits, and discover the countless possibilities that this craft had.

Furthermore, I was unable to overlook the crucial influence that internet resources had on the direction of my learning. These virtual experiences, which ranged from YouTube courses to online forums, became my go-to places for motivation, advice, and occasionally a much-needed pick-me-up when things got hard. I then had to consider the value of community when evaluating my learning—the friendships formed with other enthusiasts, the ideas that were shared, and the group knowledge that helped me progress.

As I reflect on my learning and successes, one thing becomes very clear: this journey is far from over. With each stitch and item done, I discover new levels of potential waiting to be unlocked. So, equipped with the lessons gained and abilities developed, I push forward, eager to face whatever difficulties lie ahead and continue to exceed my own limits.

Online Learning Reflection:

Reflecting on my journey of learning to use my embroidery machine, one thing that leaps out is my reliance on the internet for guidance. In today’s digital age, the internet is an enormous collection of knowledge, with an abundance of tutorials, guides, and groups ready to share their experience. And let me tell you: I made great use of it!

Navigating the world of online learning provided unique challenges and rewards. From the comfort of my own home, I began on a virtual adventure of discovery, utilizing the wealth of information at my disposal. YouTube became my classroom, with experienced embroiderers helping me through the complexities of machine settings and stitching techniques. Online forums provided a place for problem solving and companionship, linking me with other enthusiasts who shared my interests and offered essential help.

However, despite the convenience of online learning, the issue of distinguishing reliable sources from the noise of misinformation remained constant. With a critical eye and a good dose of reservations, I went through a multitude of resources, cherry-picking those that matched my learning style and goals. Trial and error became my mantra as I experimented with various techniques and absorbed the knowledge offered by experienced embroider-ers.

But here’s the beauty of online learning: it defies limits. Regardless of geography or time zone, I discovered a global community connected by a shared love of embroidery. Across locations and communities, we united over our shared passion for the craft, forming ties that went beyond the digital realm.

I’m incredibly appreciative of the wide range of information and assistance that online learning has provided me with as I think back on the experience. My journey of growth and discovery has been greatly influenced by the world of online interaction, from overcoming technological obstacles to finding new creative opportunities. Now that I have acquired new abilities and a feeling of community, I am excited to carry on with my online education and explore all of the opportunities that lie ahead.

Final Thoughts:

As I finish writing this reflection on the journey I’ve taken to become proficient with my embroidery machine, I am overcome with a feeling of satisfaction and thankfulness. What started out as a university assignment turned into a life-changing experience that gave me a useful talent and enhanced my life in ways I never would have thought possible.

I’ve learned the value of persistence and the limitless potential that each of us possesses via the highs and lows of this assignment. Every thread, every finished item, was a tribute to my resilience and joy of creating. And I sincerely appreciate that.

I am appreciative of my friends’ and family’s constant support, who encouraged me throughout my doubtful moments and celebrated each accomplishment. My mother ordering a shirt from me, my boyfriend helping me untie some crazy knots. Their support gave me the motivation to keep going even when the path ahead appeared daunting.

I’m appreciative of the supportive online community that helped me along the journey and gave me advice, motivation, and companionship. In a world where communication has no bounds, the friendship among enthusiasts who are all passionate about stitching gave me comfort.

Lastly, I would want to express my gratitude for the chance to keep developing and learning—both personally and as a craftsperson. This adventure has given me a newfound drive to explore new creative possibilities and push the boundaries of my existing knowledge.

I’m excited to see where this newfound ability will take me, and I look forward to the future with optimism. In spite of the unknowns that lie ahead, one thing is certain: I will keep making my way through life, one stitch at a time, and I will welcome every obstacle as a chance for development and self-discovery.

So let’s celebrate the adventure, the knowledge gained, and the friendships made along the road. May we never stop creating, inspiring, and appreciating the beauty of handcrafted objects.

Thank you for following along this journey and see you next time!