Personal Learning Goal: Assessment and Evaluation

Also available in PDF Format. CLICK HERE: Jozelle Sumat Personal Goal

Experiencing traditional learning my whole life jeopardizes my opportunities to explore and experience different kinds of assessment. As a student, I thought the only ways I could show that I learned something was through quizzes, exams, and a few projects. Additionally, I thought numbered grades were the one and only way I could showcase what I had learned. I remember being devastated when I received a grade below 85% (I still do). Number grades are so prominent in the Philippines and Canada that parents would compare their children’s grades with each other. This influenced the students like us to compare ourselves through grades. Moreover, students ask each other’s grades on the exam instead of reviewing the answers for more clarity. As we can see, grades do not portray a student’s learning. To clarify, simply giving grades on a report card without an explanation of why that grade is received allows false interpretation of the given grades.

Now that I am learning to become a teacher, I strive to find more knowledge about assessment and evaluation. Currently, the only information I know about assessment and evaluation is the definitions. Assessment is the tool teachers use to gather information about student learning. Evaluation is making a judgement based on the assessments gathered throughout the unit. I only know the three questions to ask in the assessment. These questions are: 1.) What is working? 2.) What is not working? 3.) What could you do differently? There are a few things that I do not know too much about assessment. These are the types of assessments, when is the appropriate time to use assessments, and how to use the assessments. I only know the definition of assessment, but I struggle to determine what it is exactly. What is the purpose of assessments and why is it important? It would help me the most if I could learn at least how assessment works. On top of assessment, I am also curious about where evaluation comes into play. When do I stop assessing and start evaluating?

My Assessment Goal

My assessment goals for ECS 401 are:

• I want to be able to learn the types of assessment and how to implement these in the classroom; and
  • I want to enhance my skills in giving descriptive feedback.

To clarify, I want to learn assessments in depth, and I would like to learn assessments appropriate for certain grades, subjects, etc. To start with my goal, I would like to explore the internet more as well as the resources given to me in my education classes. I would also ask my cooperative teachers and peers about assessment. This way, I am learning about assessment from different sources. Hopefully, I get to understand assessments more by the end of this semester. Lastly, This goal is significant to my life because I have always struggled with assessments. As I said, I have always received and experienced the same type of assessments throughout my schooling. I want to make a change as a future teacher.