Going Outside the Box… Literally

I had a super busy week, but I was still determined to create one “home cooked” meal. Knowing time was not my friend this week I figured it was a good week to do a crockpot meal. I turned to Pinterest and started researching. There were tons of recipes so that part was easy. The tricky part was I am a picky eater and scared to try new things. After searching and searching I finally came across Tomato Basil Chicken. It seemed easy enough and I actually liked the ingredients it called for.  I went grocery shopping and prepared to make this meal on Sunday.

Sunday came around and I was really excited to prepare this meal and see how it would turn out. I pulled out all my ingredients, my crockpot, and went to work.

The recipe said it would only take five minutes of prep time and that was completely accurate. I don’t even know if it took five minutes. I started by throwing the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce into the crockpot. I added the cream, seasonings, and chicken and it was ready to go. I substituted chicken breasts for chicken thighs because that’s what I had on hand and I prefer them over breasts. The recipe said it would take about 3-5 hours on low. I knew I was running out and I didn’t want it to overcook so I chose to set it for 3 hours on low. I figured if it needed more time when I got home that was fine. I set my crockpot to turn to warm after three hours and headed out. This crockpot is amazing because it has a timer feature as well as a meat thermometer attached. I came home and it was ready!

I left it warming while I made my pasta and Caesar salad. I have a Tupperware pasta maker and it works super well. You fill it with your pasta and throw it in the microwave. It doesn’t boil over and has a built in strainer.

This meal was nothing like the boxed mac and cheese I am used to and I would definitely make it again. I would give it a 9/10 for easiness, 8/10  for taste, and a 10/10 for quickness.