Learning Through Living

Learning New Woodworking Tips With TikTok

For this week’s learning project, I was unfortunately limited in time due to various other commitments. So I was unable to physically create something, however, I took this time instead to try out a new learning strategy. TikTok! This is a platform where content creators upload videos similar to YouTube, however, TikTok’s focus is primarily on short-form videos. This is great for woodworking as you can scroll through several videos in short succession to gather inspiration and ideas. Some pages that I found interesting and helpful were design.by.fatema, nickscustomwoodworks, and therealgerber.

Simply typing in DIY woodworking projects or one of the related searches seen on the right, is a great way to find thousands of videos to gather ideas about what to build next. Although small glimpse of the process are often present I have found that with TikTok it is a lot about the reveal of the finished product, which is perfect when browsing for inspiration.

Another use for TikTok that could be helpful is the content surrounding tool tips. There are numerous videos dedicated to making life easier around the shop or a cool function that you have on your tool that you may not have known about.

@woodwhisperer

Dovetail Gap Repair | Can you see it? #woodworking

♬ original sound – Marc Spagnuolo

Woodwhisperer is a great place to look for tool and project tips. The video shown above demonstrates a strategy you can use to repair a miscut in your project, which I think any beginning woodworker would greatly appreciate.

I will say the only downside is due to it’s focus on short form videos TikTok is not a place I would go for a how to video, as most of the content I came across were time-lapse or smaller tips about an overall build. However, I do think it is an excellent place to gather ideas and improve your woodworking knowledge and will definitely be making it’s what into my repertoire.

Until next week!

1 Comment

1. Paige Belcourt

Hi Kyle,
    Woodworking is so cool! I love TikTok, but I just deleted it because it becomes too addicting for it to be helpful to me anymore, but I do miss the videos about my passions and cute ideas for my learning project 🙁 Hopefully you’ll have time to make something cool this week!