Learning Through Living

Learning Woodworking with Online Magazines

For this blog, I wanted to try something different in terms of online media, and that was to explore online magazines. My intrigue with this was that magazines have the potential to have a high variety of content all in one space. This would be great for someone who is starting out with woodworking because you would have the possibility of having some small tips, projects, and tool options all in one spot.

One magazine online magazine that I found is called FineWoodworking.com which is a paid-for subscription, but they do have a good overview on the home page. After some further searching, I was able to see that this website was more than just a magazine website, they offer, a podcast, videos, how-tos, shop tips, and more. It is important to not that these features on the website are free to access!

https://www.finewoodworking.com/

The home page is easy to navigate and proves a few selections for the viewer to click on, as seen in the picture above. Personally, I was very intrigued the the podcast as this is a form of media that I had not considered to research. Woodworking can be a slow mediative process that required a lot of patience. A podcast such as this one highlighted in the website can be a great way to have some background noise and learn some new things as you work.

When look at the how tos I came across a video link that discussed how to cut curves using a bandsaw. This was created in a blog style but was taken from the podcast which is nice to see that you don’t have to listen to the whole podcast to receive it’s benefits.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/project-guides/shop-machines/a-trick-for-cutting-smooth-curves-on-the-bandsaw

Overall, I think is is a great website that can be very useful for anyone looking to get into woodworking.

Thanks for reading my post!

1. nenson1z

Hey Kyle,
    I find it so intriguing that you are learning carpentry skills for your learning journey. It has been great to see your progress thus far. Online magazines is an interesting resource you found. While I am sure there is some great information within that resources, I personally find it difficult doing a project with just pictures. Maybe for more inclined carpenters like yourself wouldn’t have a problem. For me, I really need to see a video or someone do it in real time for me to understand the concept.
    Great choice on your learning journey and I hope the skills you learned follow you in the future!
    Zach

• Kyle Tatton

Thanks for your comment Zach! It has been interesting to find different methods of learning throughout this journey. However, I have to agree with you that a well-recorded video will still be my go-to for projects, as you are able to see the full process of the build.