ECS 311 – Assessment Techniques and Strategies

Assessment For Learning

This type of strategy was found in many of my lessons through strategic questioning and finding answers as a group when learning new topics, as this generates learning while also assessing, which makes it an awesome technique to use and incorporate into your classroom! An example of this would be when I was teaching a health lesson about risky behaviours on the playground, and I would ask my students to identify in a picture what the child is doing that is risky AND why it is risky/what makes it risky? This would have the student dig deeper than just their surface level knowledge of this topic, and have to find new understandings beyond this regarding the why’s and how’s of the activity.

Assessment Of Learning

This technique of assessment was used by me and experimented with when I got to engage in my first take of marking when I completed my letter writing lesson with my students, as I got the chance to look over and correct their mistakes and re-word phrases for them before they wrote their completed letter afterwards. I also got experience with this technique when helping correct math tests as well as helping assist one of my struggling students with her math test, as I had to let her work through it without me correcting her, then I got to keep this for my co-op teacher to use to speak to her parents about. Both of these experiences taught me more about assessing learning.

Assessment As Learning

This strategy was used multiple times throughout my lessons, as I was constantly taking what we talked about and worked through as a class as information about how well my learners were grasping the topic. For example, whenever I would be introducing a new topic or the main topic of my lesson, I would make sure that we worked through it very slowly and consciously before diving into the activity, and that my students seem to be grasping the ideas well. Then, after completing the activity, we would circle back around to the main topic that we talked about at the beginning of the lesson, and see what my students had retained or built on from doing the main activity. This always gave me a clear understanding of where my students need more work, and where we have built solid foundations.