Its a wrap on yoga – just in time for Christmas

As the semester closes and Christmas approaches we are all wrapping up our projects. I did yoga for my learning project which I thought would be easy and in some ways it was – in others it was not. I never ventured far enough to go beyond the beginner sessions but I am okay with that. There is only so much time in a day and it was not feasible for me to do yoga everyday. I also learned that yoga is something that I like to do for my mental health and not something for improving my body.

Week one I was very ambitious and set a goal of doing yoga three times a week (which did not happen). I also said that I wanted to do a whole body session, hamstring, and core yoga once a week. But as the semester grew I just did whatever type of yoga I was feeling that day. Sometimes it would be upper back yoga, or breathing yoga, or desk yoga. There are so many types of yoga that it was impossible to limit myself to only three kinds.

Week two was pretty boring. I just builded off of week one and tried some new poses.

Week three was when I realized that yoga is a lot more difficult that I initially realized. Week three is when I really wanted to give up. Giving up would’ve been so easy compared to continuing. BUT, for the sake of this project and my grades I had to keep going! Week three was when I also learned how to use chrome extensions to aid my learning.

Week four was also a pretty relaxed week. I just tried some new poses, and I actually found one of my favourite poses that I do regularly – thread the needle.

Week five was when I tried morning yoga…..okay so it may have not been when I first got up in the morning but I definitely did do it in the morning. It definitely got my blood pumping and made me more awake.

Week six is when I realized that I need to spend more time vacuuming. I always use a yoga mat but somehow I would still end up covered in dirt and hair. I also did my first session of feel good flow with Adriene and I really liked it. It was just a way to loosen up my body.

Week seven is when I finally felt confident enough to make a youtube video. Prior to this week I just took pictures to post on my blog. It was a big step for me, but I’m happy with how it turned out.

Week eight I made another video. The poses I am doing in the video are all poses that I had never done before.

Week nine I went back to my original stretches that I would do before I started this learning project. I found what works best for me and now I am doing yoga everyday.

Week ten is this week! Yoga is a lot less about my body and more about my mind than I first realized. It is a small part of my day where I don’t have to worry about the stress of anything else.

I used a variety of sources this semester, ranging from youtube, TikTok, facebook, and instagram. My top two are youtube and TikTok. I liked these two are they are videos, I found it so much easier to follow along to videos. Youtube was nice when I wanted a longer video that would talk me through the poses. TikTok was nice if I just wanted a short video to give me some ideas on new poses to try. In terms on facebook and instagram, I liked instagram a little bit better. Facebook didn’t really have any follow alongs, but just groups and pages on yoga instructors. Instagram did have some follow alongs, but they were just in pictures.

I would just like to say thank you to everyone that has read my posts this semester and left comments. Your feedback was much appreciated!

Happy holidays!

This entry was posted in EDTC 300, Learning Project, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Its a wrap on yoga – just in time for Christmas

1. Jean-Paul says:

Hi Meghan,

It is really very well organized the way you commented on your summary of learning. I must say that it was nice to follow you and see how you have improved with the time. I noticed that you also used social media for your learning. In fact, as you said, I also find YouTube to be my favorite tool for my learning. Thank you for sharing and have a very good holiday.