Its a wrap on yoga – just in time for Christmas

As the semester closes and Christmas approaches we are all wrapping up our projects. I did yoga for my learning project which I thought would be easy and in some ways it was – in others it was not. I never ventured far enough to go beyond the beginner sessions but I am okay with that. There is only so much time in a day and it was not feasible for me to do yoga everyday. I also learned that yoga is something that I like to do for my mental health and not something for improving my body.

Week one I was very ambitious and set a goal of doing yoga three times a week (which did not happen). I also said that I wanted to do a whole body session, hamstring, and core yoga once a week. But as the semester grew I just did whatever type of yoga I was feeling that day. Sometimes it would be upper back yoga, or breathing yoga, or desk yoga. There are so many types of yoga that it was impossible to limit myself to only three kinds.

Week two was pretty boring. I just builded off of week one and tried some new poses.

Week three was when I realized that yoga is a lot more difficult that I initially realized. Week three is when I really wanted to give up. Giving up would’ve been so easy compared to continuing. BUT, for the sake of this project and my grades I had to keep going! Week three was when I also learned how to use chrome extensions to aid my learning.

Week four was also a pretty relaxed week. I just tried some new poses, and I actually found one of my favourite poses that I do regularly – thread the needle.

Week five was when I tried morning yoga…..okay so it may have not been when I first got up in the morning but I definitely did do it in the morning. It definitely got my blood pumping and made me more awake.

Week six is when I realized that I need to spend more time vacuuming. I always use a yoga mat but somehow I would still end up covered in dirt and hair. I also did my first session of feel good flow with Adriene and I really liked it. It was just a way to loosen up my body.

Week seven is when I finally felt confident enough to make a youtube video. Prior to this week I just took pictures to post on my blog. It was a big step for me, but I’m happy with how it turned out.

Week eight I made another video. The poses I am doing in the video are all poses that I had never done before.

Week nine I went back to my original stretches that I would do before I started this learning project. I found what works best for me and now I am doing yoga everyday.

Week ten is this week! Yoga is a lot less about my body and more about my mind than I first realized. It is a small part of my day where I don’t have to worry about the stress of anything else.

I used a variety of sources this semester, ranging from youtube, TikTok, facebook, and instagram. My top two are youtube and TikTok. I liked these two are they are videos, I found it so much easier to follow along to videos. Youtube was nice when I wanted a longer video that would talk me through the poses. TikTok was nice if I just wanted a short video to give me some ideas on new poses to try. In terms on facebook and instagram, I liked instagram a little bit better. Facebook didn’t really have any follow alongs, but just groups and pages on yoga instructors. Instagram did have some follow alongs, but they were just in pictures.

I would just like to say thank you to everyone that has read my posts this semester and left comments. Your feedback was much appreciated!

Happy holidays!

Posted in EDTC 300, Learning Project, Uncategorized | 1 Comment

Contribution to the Learning of Others

Over the course of the semester I have been been very active on social media, more than I usually am. I was the most active on Twitter, commenting on blog posts and creating my own blog posts. All of these sources provided me with the opportunity to get to know my classmates better, and expand my knowledge on becoming a teacher.

Twitter was not something I had used before this class, but I’m happy I had the opportunity to do so. Twitter is like any online source, it is effective when used correctly. At first I was so surprised at how many other educators are on Twitter. I tried to comment on my peers post everyday as well as share some resources but there were some days were I was too busy to do so.

My Twitter Profile

At a first glance of my profile, you get the basic info on me. I’m a future teacher, I’m a horse girl and you can see my pronouns.

Twitter feed

Twitter feed

Here are some examples of my peers reacting to my posts. The list can continue for a long time – or you can view my Twitter here.

Twitter posts

Twitter posts

And here are some examples of the Tweets I have retweeted. My favourite thing about using Twitter was getting to see how some of my classmates would implement certain techniques into the classroom. It’s so great to see what works effectively and what doesn’t.

Blog posts is where I got to share my thoughts about our weekly discussions and my journey of yoga. I liked reading my classmates posts on the weekly discussions as they offered a different viewpoint than my own. It was also nice to give my peers encouragement on their learning projects.

Edusites activity

Here is a small example of what shows on my edusites page. From this you can see some of my most recent blog posts and what posts some of my peers have commented on.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Here are some examples of the comments I made. I tried to comment on as many blog posts as possible.

My blog posts

My blog posts

Here you can see all the posts I have made. It took me a little bit to get used to blogging but now I almost think of it as writing a letter to myself – it is just a way of putting down my thoughts.

Record Sheet on Comments I’ve Made I did my best to keep a record sheet on the all the comments I made. It is very vague but it gives an idea on how active I was on social media.

Although this course was online, there was still lots of opportunity to be interactive with my peers. I believe we can always learn something each other, especially when we are in a group like this. We are all different ages with different backgrounds. I know that I am walking away from this course with a whole new perspective of social media and just how beneficial it can be.

Posted in EDTC 300 | Leave a comment

Yoga everyday? Impossible right?

I am happy to report that I am now doing yoga everyday! Once I found a routine that worked well for me, I was able to stick to it. Like I said in my first blog post, I do yoga occasionally. I would do it more during the curling season in winter. Now, I am not a bendy person so doing the simplest of yoga poses are actually really hard. While I might not be doing what is classified as “yoga” everyday, I am doing stretches. Mostly hip opening and hamstring strengthening. I did however find some new poses to add to my daily yoga.

The first one is this hip opening stretch. It may not look like it does much but I can really feel it on the side of my glutes.

Photo By Me

The second is the thread the needle pose. I really like this one. I find it so hard to find effective back and arm stretches for me. Plus this one helps me with my balance.

Photo By Me

Thirdly is the child’s pose. The child’s pose is a nice way to end a yoga session. It sort of stretches out everything that I worked leaving me feeling nice and relaxed.

Photo By Me

I only do about 15 minutes of yoga everyday and always in the morning! I find that if I put it off, I don’t do it. I have always considered myself to be an active person but I’m not a gym buff by any means. I like yoga because it gives me a way to clear my mind and set myself up to have a positive day.

P.S. If any gym buffs read this, I’m sorry about my terminology (since it’s probably inaccurate)!

Posted in EDTC 300, Learning Project, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

How good are my cyber stalking skills?

I like to think of myself as an okay internet stalker. I mean, when I want to find something out about somebody I can usually do it. We have all stalked our significant others in the talking stage. Usually a quick facebook or instagram search will give me all I need. If I’m feeling really adventurous I will check out VSCO and TikTok but those two platforms aren’t used as much. For this week, Barbra and I have decided to be partners.

To start, I just typed in her name on google as it appears on UR Courses, which is Barbra Paulette Zurita. Nothing definite came up, and what I did click on was in Spanish. Every person in the images was different too.

Screenshot by Me

Next I looked at our blog hub list and clicked on Barbra’s name. Here I noticed that she uses Barbra Cea as her name. I got a lot more results when I typed in Barbra Cea to search the web.

Screenshot by Me

Next I looked at her Twitter.

Screenshot by Me

Here I learned that she is taking education at the UofR and is also a student and La Frontera in Chile. From her bio I know that she is an exchange student and that would explain why I was getting accounts in Spanish. From a quick twitter search I noticed that she has mostly tweeted things related to this course. Barbra doesn’t appear to have a dominate belief, other than she wishes to be a great teacher :).

Screenshot by Me

Screenshot by Me

Her blog is very professional looking as well.  From her About Me page I learned that she is in her third year at the La Frontera University studying English. Although she studies English, she is very passionate about Spanish and she wishes to teach it around the world. Also from her blog I learned that she’s doing knitting as her project.

Her name does come up on Facebook but it is all in Spanish. Only a very cute picture of her dog surfaces.

Screenshot by Me

Overall, I think Barbara is a very professional looking individual. I could not find anything incriminating about her. She was a little hard to find until I had the right name. I’m not sure I would have been able to find her if I didn’t use out class blog hub. Barbara has built up a very professional online presence which will benefit her in her teaching career.

Posted in EDTC 300, Uncategorized | 1 Comment

How to beat fake news?

To me, seeing of something is a scam or fake news is just natural. I’ve never really been “taught” about fake news, but rather just grown up in an era of social media where this kind of thing is just common sense. However, I do see the importance of teaching fake news and scams to students. I think it would be best taught in its own course, however it can be implemented well into the Health or Social Studies curriculum. Unfortunately, it is something that will probably need to be taught each year, as technology and scammers evolve. By the time students graduate, they should be fluent in how to find true academic sources and how to beat fake news.

I like this Fake News Article because it includes diagrams as well as the explanation behind the diagrams. The author gives multiple examples of why fake news is spreading and how it can get so easily spread. The main reason is that people share without checking. As people, we are more inclined to believe something that aligns with our views (I do it all the time without realizing it).

A second resource I would use with my students would be a video. Lets be honest, are students really going to pay attention when reading some article? In this digital era, we all want to watch videos instead of reading. I like this video because it aligns closely with the article I chose to share. And this video uses a very real example, the Covid vaccine.

And lastly, I would test what my students learned with a quiz. This Break the Fake Quiz is very in depth, I got half the answers wrong! One key element I noticed is that most of the posts were fake, although some of them looked very real. Plus, fun online quizzes are always a great way to get students excited about what they are learning.

As a student myself, it is very important that I know how to find credible, academic sources (which can be very difficult). There are way more non academic sources (that are easier to read) than there are academic sources (which can be wordy and difficult to read). It can be hard to know what to believe in this world making it so important that we do our research before sharing it or referencing it in our work.

Posted in EDTC 300 | Leave a comment

Throwback Yoga

As we move on to our ninth week of learning I decided to stick with youtube. But I switched it up and did a video with Kassandra instead of Adriene. I actually enjoy both of these ladies and their yoga videos. Here is the video that I did with Kassandra.

The video was really easy to follow along with. I even felt confident enough to make my own little video of my favourite part of this session! In the background you can hear Kassandra’s voice since I was playing the video. You can just ignore that part!

In the video, I’m going from downward dog to cobra pose. Before today I had never done these two poses in this combination and it was actually really fun!

This pose that I am about to show next really reminds me of my figure skating days. I stopped quite a few years ago but this pose really reminds me of how balance is so important. My left leg is in the air and my right arm is holding onto my foot. And believe me, this is harder than it looks. I have always considered myself to have good balance…….until this pose came along. I was only able to hold this for a few seconds, and I couldn’t even hold it long enough with my right food/left hand in the air to take a picture. Maybe next week I’ll do some balance yoga, if that’s even a thing.

Photo By Me

At the end of Kassandra’s video she asks how you are feeling in this moment and how you would like to feel for the rest of the day. Surprisingly this was the hardest part of the whole video for me. I’m really good at shoving my emotions down and yoga has a way of bringing them to the surface. All I could really think was that I was angry. Angry about what I’m not really sure, but just that I was angry and how I didn’t want to spend my whole day being angry. It can be so hard to focus on the good in this world when it seems like so many bad things are constantly happening. I recognize that I am a lot more fortunate than so many other people in this world, but its like that saying. The grass is always greener on the other side.

The other day I was reading a book and the characters were talking about how you should be able to think of five wonderful things and if you can’t, go on an adventure until you can think of five wonderful things. I truly believe that this world can use a whole lot more of mindfullness.

Have a great day everyone and remember to create joy in your life 😉

Posted in EDTC 300, Learning Project | Leave a comment

Coding is Hard

Coding is not my cup of tea. I honestly don’t know how people do it. I used the draw feature on code.org and it took me a couple days to figure out (I would get frustrated and give up). However tonight, I was able to create something.

Photo By Me

I mostly just created a series of lines, I get too frustrated when I try to add more things into it. Once I figured out that I had to adjust the pixels by which the character is moving by it got easier.  I still don’t totally understand the purpose of coding but I think with a little more exploring I could figure it out.

Photo By Me

With the knowledge that I have right now I still don’t see coding to be useful within the classroom. All I can picture is frustration. I know one of the arguments to include coding within the classroom is that it teaches students how to work through their problems but they get that in everyday teachings to begin with. I think it would be most helpful being taught in a computer science course and possibly math and science.

I noticed on code.org that there was a game about forests fires. When I clicked on it, the game actually provided me with a ton of information on human-made forests fires and how they are put out. I see the benefits of games like this – that have educational content. But I struggle to see the importance of coding and minecraft (the example we did in class).

I’m sure my opinion will change as I continue my education and gain field experience. However, at this point of time I don’t see the importance of coding other than for fun.

Posted in EDTC 300 | Leave a comment

My First Youtube Video

Hey everyone! This week I decided to step out of my comfort zone and make a video for you all to see. I’m not feeling confident enough to do sort of a “live” video but instead I compiled my pictures into an imovie, then uploaded it onto youtube. Please be nice, it’s my first video!

To be perfectly honest I sort of cheated in the making of this video. I used the “magic movie” feature. This feature was super useful, I just selected the photos I wanted to include and imovie made the video for me! Granted I did take some photos out and added the description, but imovie did the music and transformations (if that’s the right word) between pictures. I would loved to make it longer and better but I just didn’t have the time this week! Maybe next week I can do a better one. However, I think this one turned out okay.

Uploading the video from my phone to my computer to youtube to my blog was surprisingly easy. I was expecting for it take take hours with me getting frustrated and eventually giving up. But the whole process only took minutes. I was able to airdrop the imovie from my phone to computer (thank goodness for apple products) and then just drag the file to youtube. I was surprised about how user friendly uploading videos onto youtube is. Just add your file, give it a name, hit “next” a few times and boom. I now have a youtube video. I made sure to have it under “unlisted” just because I don’t want random people being able to watch it.

I decided to make a video for you guys this week to one, step out of my comfort zone, but also because I am noticing yoga is something I want to do for me. When I’m doing it, I don’t want to be taking pictures – I just want to simply enjoy the moment. I think I am starting to enjoy yoga for what it is, a quiet moment in time where I can enjoy myself.

With yoga, I have also been journaling more. Between these two practices I am finding myself to be more at peace. On days where I’m really on edge or stressed about something, I’ll find a 20 minute youtube yoga video to calm myself and write my thoughts down at the end of the day. It’s amazing what taking a little time for yourself throughout the day can do for you.

Until next time fellow bloggers.

Digital Citizenship in the Grade 8 Curriculum

I decided to focus on the digital citizenship in grade 8. My first thought was to look Health Education. After a quick glance and not seeing anything directly related to digital citizenship I looked at Career Education and Social Studies. At this point I realized that digital citizenship is something that does not have its own goal, outcome or set of indicators.

I believe that digital citizenship would be best taught in Health Education. Looking at the existing curriculum I think that digital citizenship best fits under outcome USC 8.4 and 8.5. Both outcomes have indicators reflecting experiences one might have on the internet. USC 8.5 indicator A focuses on body issues which many teenagers struggle with.

In an ideal, world digital citizenship would have its outcome and set of indicators. Technology is becoming such an important part of our world and we often don’t realize or understand the impacts that the internet can have on youth. A common example we use is teaching students how to send an email. We often say it is like writing a letter, but the younger generation has never needed to send a letter. If we’re teaching students how to properly write an email, shouldn’t we be teaching them about other sources in the internet?

I am a firm believer that we need to teach students how to navigate the internet safely. Telling them to stay off the internet won’t be effective. Technology is so apart of our world today and it is not possible to just “stay off the internet.” It is vital that students, as well as the elderly and everyone in between know how to use the internet safely. The internet can be used for many great things, let’s just make sure that it does not get abused by the wrong person.

Group of people watching on laptop

Photo by Fox on Pexels

Posted in EDTC 300 | Leave a comment

Who Knew Yoga Could Be so Dirty?

Literally, yoga is dirty. Every time I do yoga I realize how much I need to vacuum my floor. I promise I clean, but once I’m done doing a session of yoga, my mat and me are covered in hair. I don’t even have pets living with me right now! Well, to tell the truth it’s mostly my hair but I don’t even know how I lose so much! Onto actual yoga now….

This week I went back to Yoga with Adriene on YouTube. I did a 20 minute feel good flow and wow did it have me sweating (might have something to do with the heat finally being turned on in my building). I just really like Adriene’s videos, plus her dog is in everyone of her videos. Maybe one day I’ll look as effortless as she does.

I did a ton of poses in Adrien’s video but I chose to show these two. Both are lunging poses, but the one on the left I twisted my body so my right arm is touching my left knee (I apologize about the poor picture quality!) This video was definitely more advanced that what I am used to but it felt great nonetheless. Also if anyone has any tips on how to take better pictures of me doing yoga it would be much appreciated! I usually just prop my phone up, put it on video and screenshot the pictures I want. However, I can never seem to capture my whole body doing the pose.

Thanks for following my journey so far!

Photo By Me

Photo By Me

Posted in EDTC 300, Learning Project | 3 Comments