Journey Toward Reconcillation

Here is a short description on what Orange Shirt Day means to me.

Orange Shirt Day is a day that many people are aware of by now, especially within schools. I remember Orange Shirt Day becoming known when I was in grade ten in 2019. I did not fully understand what it meant, only that it was important and that I should wear an orange shirt to show my support. Orange shirt day originated in 2013 in British Columbia and has since then spread across Canada (CBC, 2020). In grade twelve I started to learn and gain knowledge about what Orange Shirt meant and why it was important. It is important for survivors like Phyllis Webstad who went to a residential school. Phyllis’ story inspired  me to learn more and continue to show my support for residential school survivors. Orange Shirt Day meant very little to me for a long time, but now it means so much to me. When the bodies of children were found at residential schools there was an unofficial Orange Shirt Day to show support to the survivors. I wore a shirt and one of my teachers asked me if it was coincidental or if I meant to, because so many people were not wearing an orange shirt on that day. Now, September 30th is becoming a statutory holiday to honour truth and reconciliation. It is not a day to celebrate like many other holidays, but a day of self reflection to remember what has happened. My view of Orange Shirt Day and Indigenous knowledge has changed significantly over the years and it has all come from education. As a future teacher I wish to teach others and deepen their understanding of Canada’s past and how to move forward.