Mapping Activity

In ECS we were encouraged to look around where we grew up and how we appreciate the land we live on.

In my drawing, I included my elementary school and high school, as well as my workplace and the places I used to go as a child.

For this task, I had a hard time choosing what and whose houses were most important to include in my drawing. By the end, I ended up drawing the houses of people that I know would help me (and have helped me) when I struggled. One experience that I think best describes my community is when I came home on the bus without keys to my house. I then realized that I forgot I was supposed to walk to my Dad’s work. So instead of sitting on my steps waiting for someone to come home, I went to my grandma’s house. When I realized she was gone I walked over to my Uncle Sammy’s and stayed with him until someone came home.

At my house, I have multiple apple trees, and my mom grows cucumbers, cantaloupes, carrots, peas, and tomatoes. My mom also has a flower garden in our front yard which creates a very welcoming atmosphere. Around our house, there are countless trees that are home to many birds. I used to whistle with the birds every morning while I waited for the bus.

I live on Treaty 4 territory. This is something I am sad to admit that many people in my city don’t accept. The land we live on and the way we get our power and food mainly come from Treaty 4 resources, and yet people are very judgemental of First Nations peoples. My community is almost entirely full of Caucasians so I wouldn’t say that I am in a position of power because I’m a woman. Although I also have the privilege of being from a home with two incomes and parents that work from nine to five.