Changing Rhythm – Week Three Learning Post

I am quite proud of my progress this week! In my last post, I was following along with a beginner drum lesson on Youtube. I found that my tempo was very off and I struggled to keep up. I did some more research some tips and tricks to help my rhythm and tempo. I found this article “How To Play Drums For Beginners (Learning Online Made Easy)”, which helped me know exactly where to start. For the past week, I have been playing the song “Do I Wanna Know” by the Arctic Monkeys. It has a very easy drum beat that allows me to practice tempo. The song also only uses two parts of the drum set; the snare and the bass. I have practiced the song every day for twenty minutes. I am slowly getting better and I could not be happier! If you know any other easy songs to learn, please send them my way!

If you come next week, I will be posting my first video of myself playing the drums!

Walkthrough of Drum set:

I thought I would include photos of all the parts of my drum set, so you can see what I am working with. It is a used Evans drum set, so it is pretty beat up (pun intended).

Bass Drum
Snare Drum
Hi-Hat Cymbal
Mounted Toms
Floor Tom
Crash/Ride Cymbal