Tuning it to the Limit

As I said in my last post, I found out that my drums needed tuning. A roommate of mine used to play drums, so he took a look at my drums and noticed they were not tuned. He offered to teach me how to tune my drums as long as I bought the tuner needed. I was very thankful to have someone so close to me during this pandemic that knew about drums! My roommate asked me to respect his privacy, so I did not film or name him within my blog. I learned the process of tuning and found some affordable options for drum tuners, including apps for your phone.

Process for Tuning

The first thing I learned about was the lug nuts on the side that need an actual tuner key. I ended up buying a tuner key from Long and McQuade Music Store in Regina. Next, we had to turn the tension rods, which allowed

We had to follow the diagonal pattern shown above to tune. We moved on to fine-tuning. My roommate has enough experience to fine-tune by ear, however, I was not able to so I needed to rely on tuner apps.

us to remove the top of the drums. we had to wipe the rim of the drums to keep them clean. Once we place it back on we had to tune each drum in a specific manner.

Tuner Key
Lug nut on the side of drums

Tuner Apps

I tried to find affordable options that anyone could use. However, I could not find any free apps on the app store that I needed.

Drum Tuner- IDrumTune Pro

• Price: $8.49
  • Accurate drum pitch readings
  • Simple to use
  • Online drum tuning course

Drumtune Pro

• Price: 10.99
  • Sometimes has confusing readings of pitch
  • a very clear description of how to tune drums

However, the best tool you can get to help tune your drums is an actual drum tuner. I hope that I will be able to buy one soon. Since the price of a tuner is $90-180 I will have to wait a bit to get one.

Tune Bot