Curriculum Development

Curriculum Development

In Levin’s article “Curriculum Policy and the Politics of what should be learned in schools” it explains the development of school curriculum. There was a large emphasise on policies, polices conduct everything that has to do with aspects of education. Education is very political which I was always aware of, but I was still shocked at the extent of just how political education is even though many decisions are made with little public knowledge or attention. The government brings many different people together to develop the curriculum, board members, researchers, elders, reviewers and teachers to accumulate their knowledge and try to create a curriculum suitable for the Saskatchewan education system. After analyzing certain parts of the curriculum, I was surprised to see how out dated it was and how it puts more emphasis on some things more than others and doesn’t even mention topics very apparent in today’s society that should be made aware to kids through out there education. From the article I understand how difficult it is to articulate a curriculum, but I think that it would be useful for many if teachers had more say it was going into the curriculum and have it get updated in areas needed more often.

Treaty education can be a controversial topic to people who are not familiar with the how it should be taught. In the document Saskatchewan Treaty education document, it connects to Levin’s article in several ways. The curriculum is created with groups of many different kinds of people who all bring different outlooks and expertise to the curriculum but over all government has full control over what goes into the curriculum. Treaty education is a big part of our society and history, and I think that the importance of it being in the curriculum is crucial and needs to be more apparent.