Baking is Whisk-y Business: Introduction to my Learning Project

After LOTS of consideration, I have decided to learn how to bake for my learning project. I wanted to choose something that I have interest in and want to improve my skills in. I love watching baking videos and searching for recipes but I never have the time to actually bake. This learning project is about more than having the time to bake now. I want to take the time to carefully follow recipes. I am definitely known for mishaps when baking and cooking…take a look at my failed brownies picture for proof! Baking is something I want to start doing, as I really haven’t done it. I think I need to start off with something simple, like finding the best chocolate chip cookie recipe. Throughout my learning project, I want to show my progress by learning how to make a variety of things like cookies, cakes, muffins, and pies. I want to find recipes that I have never heard of before. I want to take spin on certain recipes and find some that are not super basic. For instance, maybe instead of making banana bread, I can make banana muffins or bars instead. 

My failed attempt at making brownies

I am very successful when it comes to making no-bake desserts! I am hoping that the time given to complete my learning project will help me go one step further and learn how to actually bake.

I am hoping to bake 1-3 times a week. This will include trying to perfect recipes if they don’t quite turn out (which is very likely to happen). I am going to share my baking with my friends and family, so this learning project will really benefit everyone around me! I am going to choose a new source each week to find my recipes. These recipes will come from youtube videos, Instagram/Facebook, Tikok, apps, websites, pinterest, etc. I plan on documenting my progress through writing, pictures, and videos.

So far, I have started my journey by researching different things to bake, as well as finding different sources. I asked my family what I should bake, as they will be the ones eating most of it! I am currently making a grocery list of everything I need to get started! Next week I am moving from an apartment with no oven, into my new house that actually has an oven (even if it is a small apartment style oven). I think this change will get me super excited to start my learning. I think the one thing I will always keep in mind throughout this process, is that making mistakes is not a bad thing. Trial and error! I do not have much experience with baking, so any type of practice just brings me closer to gaining this skill!

3 thoughts on “Baking is Whisk-y Business: Introduction to my Learning Project

1. Hey Taylor,

Thanks for sharing and I can’t wait to see what kinds of things you end up baking!
    Also, those chocolate-covered strawberries look DELICIOUS!
    – Madi

2. Hi Madi, we both share almost the same type of Learning Project. Mine is also based on cooking. I fail badly when it comes to desserts so I will follow yours diligently. The chocolate-covered strawberries are tantalizing the taste buds 🙂

3. Hi Taylor,

YUM! This sounds like such a fun learning project! I used to bake a lot but as life got busier I stopped. I am so excited to see all of the cool desserts and recipes you make, those chocolate-covered strawberries look amazing! Thank you for sharing the brownies on here as well and don’t beat yourself up too much, we have all made mistakes baking! For example, one time I tried to make cupcakes, and somehow only the top baked, and the rest of it was extremely runny after! Not sure how I accomplished that haha but it happens! I really enjoy all the pictures you add to your posts to really give us a visual of your project I am excited to see what else you learn how to make! Post your recipes!

Thanks again for sharing!

Noelle