Let’s talk Twitter!

Tweet Tweet!

Exploring the Twitter world has been fun, eye-opening, and at times a little overwhelming. I have used Twitter in the past, mostly for an easy source of news as I followed the city police of the city I was living in as well as CTV. Never an active tweeter but I did use it a bit so it wasn’t completely foreign to me when we had to create an account this fall for my EDTC 300 class. With that being said, I was a bit skeptical about what I would find on the platform as I had known it to be an app full of memes (at times, inappropriate), sport scores, people voicing their opinions & at times attacking others (unfortunately, this is common amongst all social media).

Since rejoining the Twitter world as an aspiring educator I have been pleasantly surprised!

There is a whole community of teachers that I never could have imagined existing – it is awesome!! The level of networking that Twitter provides is unbelievable, it give me the warm and fuzzy’s knowing we aren’t alone in our teaching journeys.  At times I feel as though I have information overload but when I take a few deep breaths and start to sift through the tweets I am able to see the good.

I appreciate its informal ability to allow us to connect with other students or educators, resource pages and administrators. I appreciate the amount of resources that I find on there that I don’t know if I would have been exposed to otherwise. As it has been about a month since I have become active on this platform again I noticed my algorithm has really zoned in on my common searches – my feed has a lot of Middle School and Mathematics accounts!

My favourite feature about Twitter is the ability to “Quote” a tweet, it allows me to Retweet and give credit to the original source but I am also able to add a note as well. With the high volume of tweeting I have done this lets me better organize my thoughts so when I am scrolling back I know why I was so drawn to it in the first place!

A recent quoted tweet of mine from @TCEA

Twitter has the potential to be a great tool while working on professional development – it allows connection with fellow educators across the world and in our own city! There are many tweets that have me reflecting on my personal pedagogy and how I want to approach teaching. Though still slightly skeptical, I am warming up to the platform with the more time I spend on it.

I am still not familiar on Twitter chats, but I am looking to learn more this coming week. Please feel free to follow me @alli_higgins17 and we can navigate this weird world that is Twitter together!

3 thoughts on “Let’s talk Twitter!

1. Twitter has been so inspiring as a networking website. I feel like I’ve got a million ideas for my future classroom thanks to the great educators on there! Feel free to send some of those math resources my way 😉

2. Thanks for sharing Alli, I am glad you are enjoying the positive aspects of it. It seems like there are many folks with mixed feelings about Twitter, but you do point out the positives and the value that it brings. This sense of community and connection is a positive thing, especially for teachers that may feel isolated or disconnected from others.