Invitation and Hospitality

teachers have honoured different ways of knowing in the classroom by providing students with a variety of learning methods so all of their students had an equal chance of learning. Some students’ strengths were learning things by listening, other students learned best hands on. Teachers throughout my grade school experience respected my learning process and provided me with different tools to help me succeed. When connecting my experiences in grade school to the reading titled “A Relational Approach To Decolonizing Education: Working With The Concepts Of Invitation And Hospitality” By Fatima Pirbhai-Illich and Fran Martin I learned that that there are two different ways of knowing. The two ways include object based and relational based. Object based is learning with materials, going to class learning with what the teacher provides us and then going home. Relational based learning, is a type of learning where relationships and trust is formed, teachers really take the time to get to know their students. The “I it” model is having no relationship with students, where the “I Thou” model is the opposite. Growing up I was privileged to have many exceptional teachers who took the time to form relationships with their students. Because of this there was a form of trust built between myself and the teacher as well as amongst the students. when discussing this in our ECS class other students spoke about how they felt included within their classrooms they. They discussed how teachers really took the time to get to know each student individually by speaking to them as well as creating activities where students had to share their likes and dislikes with one another allowing them to express themselves and their interests.