Invitation and Hospitality

Cambridge University Press

Throughout all my years as a student, I have come across many different types of teachers. Many of the teachers enjoyed the power over the students, which led to a “I-It” relationship. Much like Dr. Fatima explained, many of the students including myself were treated like objects and were expected to sit quietly and listen to someone superior. However, through my freshman year in high school, my homeroom teacher made me tell her my strengths and weaknesses and promised to work around them. When I opened up about my English writing weaknesses, she helped me edit my papers and become a better writer. In relation to Dr. Fatima’s lecture, connecting with your students and learning to relate leads to student success, which it did. Such connections helped build a community in our classroom, where all students felt comfortable with everyone no matter the differences. This created a dialogic relationship between the teachers and students in the classroom, where she didn’t feel as if she was in power, but willing to learn from each student and their differences. Being said, creating a hospitable and inviting educational environment is a key factor in students being successful and feeling welcomed, which all teachers need to provide. Therefore, to create such an environment, teachers have to avoid hierarchy in the classroom and avoid favoritism. This will help students to understand they are all respected equally and a superior student does not exist in the classroom. Therefore, having a relationship with your students is important, and understanding each student and their weaknesses is a key factor in creating an inviting environment. Lastly, after viewing Dr. Fatima’s lecture and article, I have come to further appreciate the importance of a dialogic relationship in a classroom. Such a relationship allows for further connections with your students and leaves power and one-way connections aside. Therefore, as a future educator, I am willing to work with hospitality and learn from all my students and appreciate the differences from each one.