EDTC 300,  Learning Project

ASL: Talking with My Hands

“Spell it out” by artnoose is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0

I have decided to do my learning project on ASL, which is a visual language that employs gestures and expressions to communicate. My interest in ASL actually came from Tik Tok. I saw a girl making mini sign language lessons, and I thought how interesting it would be to be able to learn it. I have been wanting to take the time and learn ASL for a few months now, but never got around to it. I thought this project would be the perfect opportunity for me to learn. Also, I feel that ASL is a very useful skill to have, considering I could potentially be teaching people who use sign language. English is my first language, but I actually also took French throughout all of high school. I know a little of what it is like to learn another language, but leaning ASL will be a little different.

My base for sign language is not super strong. I know how to spell my name, and how to sign a few words, but I am unsure if I am even signing them correctly. This knowledge mainly comes from performing Christmas concerts at my school. We would sing while wearing black clothes and white gloves. We would then turn on black lights and sign certain words from the songs, such as Christmas, all, hear, me, you, and other very simple words. I have never tried to put the words together to make sentences.

My Plan:

I have been looking for resources and it turns out there is so many! For one, YouTube is going to be my best friend on this project. There are so many people teaching sign language from that platform. I want to also be able to explore other resources aside from YouTube. For one, I have found a few apps that teach you ASL. I am compiling a list of resources and whenever I post about my progress I will be sure to include my resources so others can follow along on my journey. As well I will review which resources provide the best teaching and result.

I definitely want to start with the absolute basics: the alphabet, the numbers, and a few basic phrases such as “Hi, my name is Kara” and “how are you?” and other common phrases. Other possible topics include colours, sports, date, time, and directions. As a future math teacher I want to try to learn math phrases as well, like, add, subtract, multiply, divide, half, percent, etc.

GOAL:

My goal for this project is to be able to have basic conversations and possible be able to apply that to more complicated conversations. I also want to be able to express basic math concepts in sign language. There is so much I want to learn and trying to decide where to start is hard. My overall goal is to create a base knowledge of understanding of sign language. I think this plan will provide a good base to continue onto a more advanced knowledge of sign language.

Thanks for joining me on my journey learning ASL.

More on ASL right here! This site actually provides a few resources for learning ASL as well.

• Jesse Ducharme

What a great read! I have tried learning ASL a few years ago and using Youtube was a great resource to use. I didn’t get very far, but I’m excited to see your progress!

• Erin

Youtube is so great for learning skills, I can’t imagine doing this project without it!

I like that you want to apply ASL to math concepts. I wonder if there’s an ASL word for math terms, such as, graph or algebra. Or would you spell these types of concepts for the learner? If you get there, please let me know! I’d be curious to know.

Also, your blog is looking great!