• EDTC 400

Hello There!

Well hello, my name is Kara Miskolczi. I am currently in my second year of my Bachelor of Education degree, with a major in secondary math and a minor in social studies.

A little bit about me is that I am actually from a small town called Englefeld, SK. Although I love small town life, the city has been growing on me a bit. I am a very active person, but with Covid-19, I cannot participate in my usual rec volleyball or other games, so I have had to get creative in keeping myself active. Recently, I have been skating on ponds around the city in search of the smoothest ice. It is hard to find activities, so if anyone has any other suggestions, please drop me a comment! I am also a math tutor as well! I have been tutoring math for almost a year with all ages.

If you want to learn even more about me you can visit this page that has a few more fun facts and photos!

You can also check out my Twitter for more info.

I took EDTC 300 last semester and really enjoyed it. This time around I want to learn how to actually teach about digital citizenship and literacy while using the technology and tools we used last semester. I want to be able to implement the learning into teaching as I begin to get more engaged in a classroom setting. Last semester we explored possibilities in teaching these subjects, but never got to experience teaching them, so I think this would be something I want a little more experience with.

I want to continue to build my PLN through more blogging, tweeting, and connecting with my fellow classmates. This will help expand my PLN and engage me with more people which is super important for me now and in the future. Having these connections can help with classes, resources, professional development and more.

I want to develop my own standards for when I feel technological use is appropriate in a classroom setting. For me this means understanding exactly where I stand on important issues involving technology is schools. This could include my personal view on cell phone usage.

• EDTC 300,  Home

This is me!

My name is Kara Miskolczi. I am an education student at the University of Regina. I am working towards earning a Secondary Education degree with a major in math and a minor in social studies. In addition to teaching, I also aspire to coach volleyball and badminton in the future.

Originally I am from the small town of Englefeld, SK. Being from a small town of about 250 people, I am used to knowing everyone around me. Moving to Regina was a huge change for me, but so far, I really enjoy it. Sports were a major part of my life. I was an avid volleyball and badminton player. I still play for fun, but definitely miss the competitive aspect of the game. Athletics taught me about leadership, sportsmanship and other important life skills, but it is also how I met my closest friends. I want to be able to help kids achieve goals and learn what I learned through sport by coaching.

You can find me on twitter here: Kara Miskolczi

Here are a few interesting facts about me!

— My mom and oldest sister are both teachers. In addition, my other sister is currently in her internship in the final stretch in becoming a teacher. So, basically my entire family consists of teachers!

— I love dogs. When I was at home, I had 2 dogs, Milo and Micky, and also dog-sat for my oldest sister who has two Australian Shepherds, Sadie and Penny. Milo is a Boston Terrier mixed with a Jack Russel Terrier. We rescued him from the Humboldt SPCA, and he is a total cutie who really only wants love and food. Micky is a Sheltie who we have had since he was a puppy. He is super high energy and absolutely loves ball and Frisbee.

— I am a math Tutor for kids from kindergarten to grade 12.

When it comes to my experience with technology, I like to think I know a lot. My dad is an IT and has shown me how to solve computer problems and play around with programs. It has become a hobby of mine to play around with computers and programs, and even got into a little bit of learning how to do simple coding. Throughout my life I have used the internet and technology to learn so many things. I taught myself how to play songs on guitar, self-taught myself math concepts, and even taught myself basic Spanish before going on vacation to the Dominican Republic. Digit resources are so vast and useful for anything you need.

I have never really thought about having a blog. I think it will be nice to be able to look back at my time throughout my school to see how much I have grown from first year all the way through internship when I get there. I hope to learn how to blog properly and set out meaningful contributions to the digital world.

• EDTC 400

Time and Tech

Technology is one of our most versatile and unlimited resources in the world today. We can do so much with it. Although there is a lot of good that can come out of technology, there is also some scary realities of technology.

For example, phones are a great communication tool. We can communicate with people around the world with the touch of a button. The problem is newer phone that have games and apps can be addicting. According to faces magazine, the average person spends about 3.5 hours a day on their phone. I am admittedly on an average week can spend up to 7 hours on my phone on Tik Tok, Instagram, Netflix, Snapchat, and more apps. My average from the first week of January 31 – February 6 was about 4 hours and 10 min. This was one of my highest weeks. Obviously it depends on the amount of hours I have at work (as I am not allowed on my phone at work), and how much homework I have to do.

This is actually my screen time from Jan.31 – Feb 6. I chose a day closest to my average time. I am confused because how did I end up spending 57 minutes on SNAPCHAT?? The 2 hours of Netflix makes a lot of sense though.

I think we need to be careful about the amount of time we spend on our phones. I know the more I spend, the worse I feel. It is because I am not active or doing anything good for myself. When teaching about technology it is important to talk about regulating time on devices. It also means teaching self-control. It is very easy to jump onto your phone and spend an hour on it, but what if we try not to do that and use that time for something more productive.

Technology can be an asset for teachers when used in the proper way. Some teachers tend to stray away from using technology in their classroom because they are unsure of where the best place is to use it. I think we need to not only educate students on how to properly engage with technology (i.e. digital citizenship and acting responsible online), but also educating teachers in the same way. Many teachers are still unsure of using technology because it grows and changes so fast. Educating is not just for students, but also for teachers.

• EDTC 400

Let’s Talk – Sask Edchat

My second Sask edchat was a bit different from the first one I did. The first one was focused on topics that where directly related to teaching and learning. This one, on the other hand, was about mental health. The topic was connected to school and how we can help with mental health in schools. There were a lot of great ideas and interesting people contributing to our chat.

It was a great time to talk about mental health. One, it is the middle of winter at a time where we are not seeing many people because of Covid. We are also adjusting to a new semester and that can be overwhelming for many people. I have been having a hard time juggling work, school, and assignments. On top of that, I also have my regular housework and I want some free time for myself. As I have been adjusting to the schedule of the new semester, I have found myself to be very burnt out. I work as a tutor afterschool until 8 pm. I come home just to stay up late and work on assignments of have class until 10. It makes me very tired and the next morning I have more class and have to work on assignments. This happens to everyone, and I haven’t felt like I was taking care of my mental health. This edchat helped me figure out things that might get me back on track and feel motivated to do my work.

For one, I realized that I haven’t had time to exercise as much as I usually do. I also realized that I should plan out my week and talk to people to help me out. This edchat came at a perfect time for me. I began to create my schedule and plan out times for things that make me relax and make me happy. I implemented this a bit this week (as I am finishing this post about a week after the edchat), and so far, I have been feeling happier and more motivated for my work. Hopefully I will continue this plan and continue to feel as motivated.

• EDTC 400

Online Identities

This week I took a look at my online presence. I wanted to know what my digital identity looks like from the outside. I actually have a pretty good idea of this from EDTC 300, when I worked with someone from my class and we sleuthed on each other. It gave me a good idea what others see about me online. For one, most of my social media is private and just for me and my friends and family. I like to try to keep my personal and professional life somewhat separated for privacy reasons. If I am posting photos of my life, my students do not necessarily need to see it.

Looking at what most people can see about me on social media, they will find an education student who is working hard to gain her degree. My blog, YouTube, and Twitter are directly related to my learning and education as I grow into a teacher. All these places on the internet are for my education, teaching, and where more professional topics are discussed. Of course it does have some information about my life, but I think it is important for people to understand a little about who I am if they are going to be looking at my content.

My Instagram and Facebook are both private. When it comes to Instagram, I only post every once and a while. My posts are usually just things I want to document about my life. I only got Facebook to use for group projects and I enjoy using it to connect with family and friends. My Instagram can only be accessed if you send me a request (I only accept people I know), but you could see my Facebook a little bit easier. If you are friends with one of my friends then you can see my profile. I have not really posted on there anyways, so you would only see my profile photo and cover photo. I do believe that if I wouldn’t want someone to see it, then why post it, so everything I post on social media is appropriate by my own standards.

I like having a more private space that is separated from my professional life is nice. It can serve as a break from the professional life and allow me to connect with my friends. There are a few things I can do to improve. I want to just build my professional online network by making a few more accounts on new or other social media sites. Those accounts can be used to show my professional progress as a teacher, and document my resources and ideas. I think there is always room to expand my digital identity.

• EDTC 300,  Learning Project

My ASL Finale

At the beginning of the semester we were told to pick a skill and learn it using technology. It could have been anything, but I narrowed it down to choosing ASL. Initially, I thought how hard can it be? It’s like learning French. I was very wrong. It was so much different.

For one, ASL is not a verbal language, which to me makes it much harder to remember the signs. In verbal languages, I can at least make connections to English words. In ASL this was much harder. There were a few that were like this, but trust me the signs are very different from what you think they are. One example, if you look back to Week 2, the number 3 still throws me off!

If you also looks back to my week working with colours on Tik Tok, you might be able to notice that the colours do not really relate to anything, so it was a lot harder to remember them, and I still have trouble.

Overall, I found learning a language online, harder than it would be in person. I have learned French in school, and one pro of being in person when learning is that you can converse with your classmates for practice. I was fortunate to have a friend who was also learning ASL, but it was very hard to find people to practice ASL with. Without consistent use and practice of the language, I find that I forget a lot of signs.

Despite all of the setbacks I think I learned a lot about ASL. Looking back, my goal was to be able to have basic conversations in ASL. I think I was able to achieve this goal (see video below). I wish I was able to have a few more conversation words for more complex conversations, but overall I am super happy with my progress.

I also wanted to look into being able to sign mathematical words like multiply, divide, add, subtract, and numbers. I was able to learn the numbers from 1-100, although I do have to look back fairly often to remind myself. I did however have a hard time finding math signs, so I focused more on my numbers than the other signs. I do want to continue and be able to tutor math using some ASL.

Resources

Now, let’s talk resources. Over the course of the semester, I used a number of different resources. These include YouTube, Tik Tok, many different apps, Quizlet, and searched photos. One resource that I wish I did use, but honestly never thought of, was websites and other blogs. I cannot believe I did not check out websites that could have been full of good information! I think as I continue to learn, I will have to check out the websites one of my classmates had been using. Also, we talk so much about collaboration in class, I am a little disappointed in myself for not checking out other ASL blogs (besides my classmates).

My Top 2 and Least Favorite

Overall, I liked using YouTube the best. It really fit my learning style. I liked to see the signs over and over again, in slow motion and rewind as much as possible. YouTube had all of these features, plus a amazing selection of youtubers you were sharing their ASL knowledge. Check out the channel I found most helpful here.

Coming in second place, I would say Tik Tok actually, which sort of surprised me. Some things I liked about Tik Tok was again the sheer number of people creating ASL content was way bigger than I expected. I also liked that I found people who were also learning just like me. The short length of the videos was a big pro for me. It made it easy to focus on a few signs at a time instead of 15 signs from one category. The only drawback to it was that if you missed something, you had to watch the whole video back over again. I guess that could be a positive too because you are getting lots of practice! You can take a looks at my Tik Tok post right here!

Taking the least favorite spot has got to be using apps. Now for learning any other language I know there are great apps like DuoLingo. Unfortunately, there has not been a great app made for specifically learning ASL, at least not one on google play store (not sure about the apple app store). All apps I tried were hard to navigate, had to pay for most of the signs, only had photos, and were just not ideal when learning the language. I think they would work best as a review tool or like a translation dictionary if you forgot a sign. To read more about learning from apps click here.

Throughout my weeks I have posted a few videos of my progress. Here is a link to all my blog posts for my learning projects. Throughout the posts you will find a few videos showing my progress. The video below shows me and my classmate completing a goal of both of ours. That is being able to have basic conversations in ASL.

Check out my conversation as well as some other signs I have learned!

• EDTC 300

Is It the End Already?

It seems like just yesterday we were starting our first EDTC class. The semester went by so fast, and I am so thankful I got to be apart of this class. I am sad that it is ending, but guess what… You have not seen the last of me ED Tech! I am so excited to be taking EDTC 400 next semester and I can’t wait to see what it has in store for me!

For my summary of learning I decided to team up with the friends I have made through class. Paige Hamann, Brandon Rumford, and I tried out yet another website that we thought brought our presentation to life! It would also be cool for students when making presentations. You can check it out here! We met through Google meets, and used Audacity and DaVinci Resolve to edit our audio and videos.

Without further adieu, please enjoy our Summary of Learning for EDTC 300!

• EDTC 300,  Learning Project

Preparations

This week my classmate, Brandon, and I shared our knowledge of ASL. We also agreed for our last post we will include some sample conversations that we would be able to say in ASL. We are in the process of putting together all of our learned signs and making a script of conversations.

Sadly we will not be able to get together due to Covid-19, so we decided that we would zoom call and record our conversations using one of the tools given to us in class. It will be a little bit more of a challenge, but we will try to make the best of it! It has been so fun collaborating with eachother so far. It was cool to see the different approaches we both took to learning ASL.

Although our approaches were similar, we definitely did not learn in the same order!

• EDTC 300

Collaboration is Key

At the beginning of the semester, we were asked to keep track of your contributions to other’s learning. I was not sure why were asked to do this, but throughout my time in EDTC 300, I came to understand the importance of collaboration and supporting your peers and coworkers.

I wanted to share some of my contributions to the learning of my classmates.

• To start off, I want to talk about my twitter. I have been fairly active of twitter, sharing many articles that I found helpful, from teaching resources to study hacks for my fellow university students. I even found some resources for a fellow classmate’s learning project that I thought might be helpful. I also like, retweet and comment on other tweets to either save content other’s have found, and show my support for them.
    • I also participated in the #saskedchat, where I contributed my ideas and thoughts about the questions asked. I chatted with other teachers and was hopefully able to contribute ideas not only to my classmates but to educators as well.
    • Next I would like to share my contribution to our slack community. Although our slack community was not super active, I was able to help out classmates when the need arose. 3 instances include helping with using tools from class like CC Search or Feedly, as well as trying my best to answer general questions.
    • I have also commented on several of my classmates blogs, showing support, sharing advice, and offering collaboration. I had a lot of fun reading my classmates blog posts and seeing their progress throughout the learning projects and EDTC 300. Here are some examples of the comments I have left. One thing I wish I did was take screenshots of my comments because there were ones I remember making at the beginning of the semester that I have to dig through to find them back.
    • The last show of my contribution would be my behind the scenes contributions. I know a few of my classmates from outside of class. We tend to go to each other for help when we need it. I have helped by sharing videos of how to work WordPress, reminded classmates of blog posts and learning project posts, as well as sharing resources for learning.

I really hope all my contributions helped out my classmates and made them feel supported in all of their work. I also want to thank all of my classmates for jumping at the chance to support me and give me advice. It helps us all grow and learn together which is so important in education.

• EDTC 300

Keyboard Wizard

My hour of code experience was super fun. I have previously had a just a little bit of experience with Java script coding on my own time as well as block coding in high school. I wanted to try another sort of typing coding because I found the block coding less challenging. So, I searched through and found a tutorial that involved a dog, and of course I clicked on it. I really like how it has teacher notes, which makes this perfect for incorporating into lesson plans.

This one had the option to do block coding or using java script. I chose to use java script. I think it so much fun to code like this. I could move Karel and make him drop or grab tennis balls. The only thing that I did not like was that he could only turn left, so turning right meant I had to code 3 lines! In the beginning, It was relatively easy and I went through it quickly, having a little experience beforehand. I really had a lot of fun relearned some java commands.

One thing I really liked was it shows where you made a mistake if make one. It also shows you why it was wrong and how to correct it. This is really helpful in learning the coding language as well as how to start problem solving when something does go wrong (as seen below).

Problem solving when there is an error.

At the very end, the last task was to create your own design. I took this as a challenge to make something much more complicated then the previous tasks. I decided to create a paw print outline. I thought how long could it really take me. Trust me it took a while. I changed my mind a few times in between, and tried to make slight adjustments. I then had to go through and problem solve to make sure the rest of my code still worked correctly.

Finally, after over 350 lines of code, I finished my pawprint! Take a look at the code running in the video below.

I had so much fun going through this coding. I think it teaches and makes you practice many important skills, like problem solving, comprehension, creativity, and mathematics. I think students will enjoy programs like this especially because there are programs geared towards having fun while coding. For examples, some of them are like games and you code to finish the game. It makes the learning fun for the students.

• EDTC 300

Increasing Digital Literacy

Today, fake news fills up so much of the internet. The world is full of it. A lot of people see something and share it, thinking it is true. Many times I have been sent something into a group chat about some sort of news. I remember a time during high school when my friend sent an article that popped up on Instagram. The headline read “Bill Nye Arrested”. This was something that shocked us all and immediately I knew something wasn’t right. So, I fact checked it, and turns out he was never arrested. I hated to burst everyone’s bubble and stop the conversation but I told them it was not true. The point is, everyone at some point will deal with some wort of fake news, and it is becoming more and more common.

But, how do we combat all of this fake news? For one, we need to teach and use digital literacy techniques. Teaching digital literacy means teaching kids to understand what the digital world is, how to navigate it safely, and how to avoid misinformation and fake news.

A good way to introduce this topic would be by playing a game like “Can you spot the fake news headline“. Then, follow up by playing them this Ted Talk about fake news. It theory behind fake news and how it spreads. This can be a general introduction to the idea of fake news and how it connects to understanding our digital world.

Digital literacy is becoming more and more important in the recent years. In today’s world, we are bombarded with information overload. There are so many places were we can find information, so teaching students how to identify trustworthy sources and how to find the true from the false is very important. It is especially important now to sift out fake news during this pandemic. Updates are of huge importance to everyone in the world right now, so there is a need to find good information and not spread fake news.