EDTC300,  Learning Project

Piano pedal and the Studio Ghibli

This week I had a moment of epiphany.

I was listening to this playlist on Spotify because, honestly I wasn’t feeling motivated to look for a song to play on the piano. I was feeling frustrated because there are a lot of songs I would like to play but they are too difficult. While I was listening to the songs a new one started and since the first note was played I knew right away which song it was.

The film that captures millennials' greatest fear - BBC Culture

It is called One Summer Day and it is from the soundtrack of the movie Spirited Away. This is one of my favorite movies so I knew I had to at least try to play it.

While studying the music sheet I realized this was going to be the first song in which I had to use the piano pedal. And it honestly makes a huge difference. It basically prolongs the sound of the notes. I just needed to press one while pressing the pedal and the sound continues even if IĀ“m not touching the key anymore.

I uploaded a video of my progressĀ here.

• Sarah

This is beautiful! Also, yes unlocking the pedal is a whole new world of fun lol. Your hand positioning is great! I also lov the dynamics you play with in this song (intentional or not)

Once you are more comfortable with this song, I personally think adding a rolled chord to the left hand would add to the tone quality ( just my opinion though) Keep pushing! you’re doing great

• Jerico

AHHHH! I have been waiting for someone doing a piano project to play a Studio Ghibli song for so long and I am so happy you chose this one. I remember listening to this for the first time and hearing the notes just melt together was so amazing and surreal and you managed to capture the same feeling. Please keep going and keep us updated!!