Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.

Easy as 1, 2, 3………Maybe?

“Its as easy as 1, 2, 3, A, B, C, baby girl, you and me, can’t you see its as easy as 1, 2, 3, A, B, C, You and me.”

Saying this weeks learning was as easy as 1, 2 ,3 is defiantly not true. This week my learning project focused on letter R-Z and numbers 1-10. I started this weeks learning with the letter R-Z. While learning these letters I tried to keep practicing the letters I learned last week just to really make sure they stick. For learning the letter R-Z this week I started by looking at some pictures as an introduction. Then I used the app I used last week which was the flash card option. I wanted to use a new resource however I really liked this resource so I choose to use it again. Once learning the letters I moved on to the numbers. Learning the numbers where a bit tricky just because I found that I already had a learned way of what fingers to use to represent what numbers just based on personal preference. Due to my personal preference I found I would often catch myself using the wrong fingers so it was more tricky then I expected. I used the same learning process as last week. I started with an introduction to the content then focused on the letters or numbers one at a time. I chose to do this strategy again because I find to really helps me break down the learning and work on individual sections of my learning.

Last week for my learning I used mostly apps and I also used some videos. This week I tried to use mostly videos and images and less apps just to experience a variety of resources. I found it a little difficult to use images just because lots of the signs have actions and I also like to follow how the instructors transition from one number to the next. For learning the number 1-10 I used 2 videos. The first video I used was called Learning ASL Numbers 1-10 in American Sign Language. I found that this video had a few pros but also a few cons. I liked that the instructor in the video explains the sign and shows it from different angles. However the video isn’t very repetitive she goes over each number then reviews at the end. I think if the instructor would build on the numbers it would be more repetitive and more beneficial for learning purposes. I watched this video through a few times then choose to find another video just because I wasn’t a huge fan of the first one. the second video I found I liked much better. The video is called Marine Monday: “Recycle” ASL Number Story 1-10 and 10-1. I liked this video a lot because it provided a little story that went along with the actions which made it much easier to remember each sign. I also liked that the video counted 1- 10 then back 10- 1 so I got to attach two story actions to each number which made them much easier to remember.

Here is a video I used to document my learning this week. I used the resource iMovie trailer function. You can read about my iMovie Trailer experience in my blog post from earlier this week. Here is the video I created using the resource.

My iMovie Learning Project Trailer

Here is the other video I created that shows all my learning this week!

My Learning Project Week 2 Progress

Next week in my learning project I will be focusing on common words. I have also been working on the coolers as an extra and hopefully be next week I will have them learnt so I can share them as-well. Better stick around this learning project might get interesting……. and by interesting I mean I am getting to the tricky parts of my learning now. Wish me luck!

1 Comment

1. elb776

Hey! I really enjoyed reading your post about your learning project! My mom knows quite a bit of sign language and I remember her showing me the numbers and I completely agree, its so hard to grasp the idea when we’ve all had a fairly standard way of using our hands to count. I look forward to reading your posts as you continue your journey in learning ASL!