First print, corrected and finished.

I wasn’t planning on updating everyone on the failed torso print, however I figured there was too much suspense for you guys to handle.

I went back, corrected the dimensions, fixed the supports, and gave the print another shot. This time it was a success, and the print came out perfect. I was able to splice it into other legitimate Games Workshop model bits and bobs.

Sidebar: The importance of using 3D printing for established boardgames is significant because it gets rid of the cost barrier, and allows more people to participate. The opensourced nature of 3D printing allows STL creators to get paid reasonably for their talent, and the overarching company (in this case Games Workshop) still makes a boat load of cash selling their textbooks, lore novels, and authentic models. Being able to print this torso allowed me to make two Hive Tyrants (name of the model in the board game) with a single $70 dollar kit.

This was the print with a 20 minute paint job. It will look great eventually!

The next project is to build a good guy in giant power armour so kids that join the TableTop gaming club can play as humans or space bugs! Stay tuned.

3 thoughts on “First print, corrected and finished.

1. That is so cool! You are right 3D printing can be cheaper than buying things like that and you can make it exactly how you want it. It is really cool that you had the chance to paint it!

• It is a good opportunity to reduce the cost barrier for certain creations, especially for table top games. When I was a kid I really wanted to play table top games (wargames like Warhammer and Sigmar), but they requires thousands of dollars to play.
      The schools I have worked at have had afterschool table top clubs, so I thought by learning how to print those models I could increase access for students wherever I end up teaching!

2. I have never seen or tried 3D printing but it seems really cool! I am happy that you decided to give it another show when it didn’t initially work out! That is what this learning project is all about! Good luck with your next creations.