Digital Citizenship and Curriculum

When looking throught the Sask curriculum I found it incredibly odd that there really are not any class that focus on computers, the internet, or technology until grade 10. What makes that strange is that children in general are getting their first cell phone and access to the internet long before grade ten. According to Statista a large “majority of children have their first phone by the age 10-12 option”(O’Dea, 2019).

Outside of the lacking curriculum, there seems to be an undertone of implementing tech into the classroom. An example of this is outcome CR8.4 in the grade 8 english language arts curriculum, with this indicator

(b)Demonstrate ability to navigate and process information when viewing websites, films, videos, and presentations.

Students begin learning how to browse the internet in elementry in grade 8, but their abiity to safely navigate through websites is a mere indicator in an english outcome.

Students may have digital access, via computers at school and cell phones (presumably), however there is no clear curriculum that teaches kids about the ramifications of the internet, how to avoid scams or <sexual predators>, and where the data they share on sites ends up.

In the future I plan on teaching in a highschool, but I have experience teaching in grade 5. I found the students I was working with relied on computers for almost every course in one way or another, and the teach had done an amazing job of introducing those kids to tech. I would plan on doing something similar.

In the grade 5 curriculum I would introduce digital citizenship as a part of the social studies curriculum, under the outcome Resources and Wealth. In indicator RW5.2

RW5.2 Hypothesize about economic changes that Canada may experience in the future.

This gives the class as a whole a chance to make predictions and have a more nuanced understanding of what the internet is, and what is cababilities are. The internet is here to stay, and teaching students about the potential of it earlier in their development will set them up for success.