Blog #2

Blog #2

When I look back on my education the Tyler Rationale is quite prominent. After reading the article Curriculum Theory and practice and talking about the curriculum and the four different ways to look at it I was able to reflect on how my teachers went about the curriculum and how some decided to use different tactics. In my high school teachers taught many different subjects there was not always just one teacher for math. When I was taking Pre-calculus 20, I was fortunate enough to have a teacher who used her own styles of teaching, related math to everyday life, and did not just rely on the one way the textbook approached it. This was not the case for all students, however. Many students would still come to this teacher for help even if they were in a class taught by someone different who had a different approach that was more “one way or straight forward”.  Another scenario that I thought of while thinking about the Tyler rational is when certain classes would pile everything from a lesson all together because they were running behind scheduled and expect students to learn understand and test well on it. If this was the case which was quite often most of the knowledge that I was being tested on was mostly just memorized for the sake of the test and then forgotten. 

The Tyler Rational did come with limitations, I think that it made teachers focus more on what has to be done and not so much why do we do these things. Step by step education is not bad it does teach students the importance of having structure and the fundamentals to get things done, which are important skills to gain when going through grade school. However, I think that there should also be room for students to have their own thoughts and questions and explore more creative thinking. 

I have not had a lot of experience in the classroom but from the little that I have had and from working at a before and after school program in a fairly new school I see many differences from when I was in elementary school. Signs of open-ended thinking and even entirely different lay outs and atmospheres I think show that we are leaning away from the step by step one way thinking that teachers used to have. Curriculum is very important in the school system and it always will be but the way we approach how to go about teaching it is defiantly changing.