Assignment 1: Dominant Narratives, Subjugated Knowledges, and the Righting of the story of Disability in K-12 Curricula.

As I began looking through scholars and topics my interest first peaked at Death/Ghosts in the curriculum. When I started to look into this topic there were not a lot of articles to choose from and they seemed to lack interest and did not argue points that I thought they would, so I turned my focus to disability in the curriculum. There were multiple articles that touched on many different views around disability. I found an article that stood out to my very quickly called “Dominant Narratives, Subjugated Knowledges, and the Righting of the story of Disability in K-12 Curricula” Curricula by Jessica K. Bacon and Priya Lalvani. What first caught my eye about this article was the quote “there is a silence around the topic of disability and ableism,”. This stood out to me because unlike other articles I looked at they do not single out people with disabilities and talk about why they struggle or why they need support, but they questioned the topic of disability as a whole, excluding nobody and arguing why it should be discussed and how it effects everyone disability or not. The avoidance of talking about disability not only keeps kids in the dark about what it means but also creates the opportunity for incorrect, most of the time hurtful assumptions to grow. Throughout history, these tropes have been presented and almost nothing has changed. 

The authors of this article discus the curriculum and analyze where the conversation of disability comes into the classroom, if it even does, and if it is a negative conversation or a positive one, how it affects students both with and without a disability. Jessica and Priya both have lots of experience when it comes to persons with disabilities. They both identify as nondisabled but their first-hand knowledge from dealing with People who have disabilities range from young and old, in school settings to community settings and have impacted their lives greatly. I think that this is a great start for assignment one because it argues something that is not often talked about. To continue my research, I hope to find articles that can now back up the argument of is disability talked about in the curriculum, look at the history and hopefully compare how the curriculum has changed and if it is still making changes. I look forward to continuing my to find articles that bring new ideas and support this argument.