My Journey to Becoming a Teacher

They’re creepy and they’re kooky…

Each week of my learning project has taken on a life of its own, what I mean by that is that I tend to find a theme while practicing and that tends to be the focus. In weeks past I have focused on children’s songs, playing notes and this week (I am not sure how) I found myself learning the Addams Family theme song! I was able to find some really awesome tutorials on Youtube that made learning this song seem somewhat obtainable, while I have yet to master the “quicker” parts of the song I am starting to see some progress. Playing different notes with both hands has proven to be incredibly difficult, it reminds me of my old math teacher who would tap the top of his head with one hand and rub his belly with the other.

Accurate picture of me after kids bedtime and piano practice

I have found the best practice time to be after we put the kids to bed (albeit it requires my to play quietly) as I can focus on the task at hand and not have wondering little fingers pressing random keys at every opportunity. The funny thing about trying to learn this song has been that I feel I look similar to Lurch on those evening practice sessions.

1 Comment

1. Tori

Hi Byron!

Glad to see you’re having fun with your learning project! Great song choice! Quirky!

I myself have some experience with the piano. Bringing in the left hand is definitely a challenge, especially when the hands are to play two completely different parts. Here are my 2 tips for you:

1. Opt for some left-hand bass chords to get practiced with the left hand. It can be scary and overwhelming at first. If you search YouTube, there will be pieces that play the melody on the right hand and the bass chords (adding depth to your piece) on the left hand.

2. If you want to continue to work with playing two different pieces on both hands, take it slowly, and find out where each finger should be at the same time of each note of each part (if that makes sense? Lol). Find the patterns that connect between the two pieces.

I enjoy to hopefully see some videos of you playing soon! Keep it up!