Byron Alexander

My Journey to Becoming a Teacher

Intro…

This last week of my learning project was unlike anything I have ever experienced. With everything going on I found it difficult to devote much time to it to be honest as there were seemingly plenty of other things to do. However, I was able to put in some more time towards learning All of Me by John Legend. I feel that I have a pretty good handle on the intro to the song and I am currently working my way through the remainder.

Check out my progress…

While the video is short and sweet, it is progress nonetheless. I will tell you, while it doesn’t necessarily look like much, using both hands it much more difficult that is appears. One great piece of news is that I found a new video that completely breaks down the song into six separate parts, which I think will really help me be successful in my journey.

I have found some easier versions for the second part, so I may only utilize this for the intro, but we will see how it goes.

I hope everyone is keeping healthy and taking this opportunity to spend some time with their immediate family and loved ones. Until next time…

1. Byron,
    I think that this is a great start to the song. This is one of my favourite songs by John Legend and I believe that you have done it justice so far. Keep up the great work!

2. Jaelyn Prediger

March 25, 2020 at 10:20 pm

This is amazing Byron! You have progressed so much since the last post I read of yours. I also agree with you that it has been hard to continue on with my regular schedule over the past while. I am in the process of moving back home now for the summer, so I am really needing to use my time wisely to make sure I am getting all my school work done. You are doing a great job using both hands, that is something I struggled with for a long time when I first learned to play the piano. Keep up the great work, and stay healthy!

• Byron

March 26, 2020 at 1:59 am

Thanks Jaelyn, some days it feels like I am getting no where in progressing on the piano, but it has been a fun journey as I have been doing it alone with my daughter. I am going to post a video of us both playing in my final post, pretty sure she is better than I am, and she’s 6! haha

3. This is so great you’ve come along way! Did you always have the piano in your house With the Intention of one day learning ? Or does someone else in your house play as well?

• Byron

March 26, 2020 at 1:58 am

Hey Nikki, we got the piano from our old church that was closing down. My daughter has started playing too and she is better than I am. I still have another week of practice to catch up to her thou, haha

4. Playing with two hands is very difficult I agree, so it shows a lot of progress now that can you can play with both! I was a bit disappointed, I thought I was going to hear your singing voice as well hahaha, I wanted to see your full inner John Legend come out. But great job on getting the intro down, piano playing is not for the faint of heart there is a reason why people take years and years to learn how to play it. Great work, now anytime there is a piano around you can dazzle someone with your skills!
    P.S. I think your piano might be a bit out of tune!

• Byron

April 1, 2020 at 5:19 pm

Oh ya, the piano is very out of tune. We had it moved here and never got it tuned up. haha. For how well I play, its good enough for now. haha

5. Lauren Carlson

March 31, 2020 at 3:41 pm

This is such a great example of finding online resources to help you with your learning project. That video does a great job of breaking things down. It’s also a great idea to not only show the hands playing each part but also the coloured bars that show how long to play each note. Very cool! You’re doing a great job!

6. Hey Byron! I can totally relate to the fact that is more difficult to focus on anything school related right now! I am really impressed! Considering you’re still a beginner, I feel like already playing the intro. to “All of Me”, as well as playing with two hands is quite difficult. You should be proud of yourself! Well done.