Do You Know the Lingo?

Do You Know the Lingo?

I am happy to announce that I finally on Section 1, Unit 3 of Duolingo and I feel like I have made some good progress. I can read full sentences and know what they mean! I feel very motivated to keep expanding on my knowledge of the language and I am excited about my progress. Recently I have noticed that despite feeling like I am surrounded by the English language, there is in fact French all around us too! I started to notice that food labels, shampoo bottles and other products with packaging have English and French words on them, making it easy for me to translate and learn French while doing simple things such as eating or washing my hair. I have taken pictures of some of the items where I noticed the French side of the packaging. Here is a picture of a pickle jar with the English label. Here is a picture of the same pickle jar but with it’s French label. The other food package I looked at was this Kit Kat house I built on Halloween. Here is the picture of the English label and here is the picture of the French label. Just like me, you can learn French too! Feel free to drop a phrase you learned from a food or beauty package below.

I wanted to note that I used Skitch to screenshot these photos and paste the link because I am having trouble uploading photos from my phone onto my blog. They are usually in the .HEIC format which I realize isn’t accepted by this website. To be honest, I had some trouble with getting a photo link to work for Skitch too. I can get super frustrated with technology and I am learning to be patient and find other ways to do things. However, any help on how to convert these photos into a different format that would be accepted by edusites would be much appreciated! 🙂 This learning project is not only helping me learn French but it is helping me to learn a bunch of new applications and different forms of technology that I would not have tried (Like I said I get frustrated easily and therefore I like to stick to what I know).

P.S. I am still too nervous to share a video of me speaking French but I am hoping that with some more practice I will gain some more confidence.

5 thoughts on “Do You Know the Lingo?

1. Hi Brooke!. I think it’s a really good advantage to have the language in your surroundings as well. I will make you notice things you might not have noticed before now that you are learning french! It seems fun to start looking at thing and be able to read them

2. Sadly I have the same issues when it comes to uploading photos to educates, so I cannot help you there. Usually my files are too big, so I have to wander through my photo settings until I find a way to lower the quality. It seems like you’re making great progress on your project and I encourage you to keep practicing it when the semester is over! I took French in Winter 2022 and because I haven’t been practicing, I can only remember a few phrases. Maybe I should download Duolingo as well haha!

3. I’m unsure what you have for a phone, but I use an iPhone. I take a picture, email it to myself and save it as a jpg. Open the file, click the 3 dots and choose ‘resize image,’ make sure it’s smaller than 1MB and then I can upload it to my blog. Now, if you don’t have an iPhone, this was a useless spiel, and I apologize because I have no idea how to make it work otherwise!

4. Hi Brooke, congratulations on your progress with French on Duolingo! It’s innovative to learn through everyday items’ bilingual labels. For your photo upload issue, consider using online converters to change.HEIC files to JPEG or PNG, which might be more compatible with your blog platform. Don’t worry about the video; starting with audio might be a comfortable first step. Keep up the great work, and thanks for sharing your journey!

5. Hi Brooke, congratulations on your progress with French on Duolingo! It’s innovative to learn through everyday items’ bilingual labels. For your photo upload issue, I recommend you consider using online converters to change.HEIC files to JPEG or PNG, which might be more compatible with your blog platform. Do not worry about the video; starting with audio might be a comfortable first step. Keep up the great work, and thanks for sharing your journey!