Week 6: Directed Drawing St. Patty Edition

Square

Initial Thoughts

Saint Patty’s day is definitely a theme that I have been following the last week and a half. I started a short term contract teaching a grade 2/3 classroom last week and the students really love to draw and like following along to directed drawings. I truly find directed drawing helpful when drawing pictures that take up most of a sheet of paper.

Some of the things I have learned from Directed Drawing is the fact that it is important to start in the middle of the object and go inside to outside. the other thing that has really helped me is the fact that every step is associated with a letter or an object that is well known.

Artwork for the Week

The first drawing that I did was a Leprechaun. It was super easy to draw because it started with the nose and then the eyes. It was followed by drawing the mouth as a diagonal line and a rainbow shape attached to it. Then the head started on the left side of the eye and followed in a “U” around the mouth to just above the eye on the right side. the next step drawing a cloud like beard around the face. To make the hat you start off with straight line that curves like a “c” on both ends then connected to a line just above it. Then a rain shape above the top line but pretend you are drawing the line off of the leprechauns face. Add a belt to the hat and you have the top of it finished.

The body starts with straight lines down off the beard and connected at the bottom. Two more straight lines need to be added pretending it is in line with the mouth this creates his blazer. A bow tie can be added and then a belt part way down the blazer. Two lines are added on the right side and then an additional two lines are added on the left side to make his legs. Finally add some shoes and a couple of 4 leaf clovers out of hearts to make a cute little Leprechaun.

I also did a directed drawing of a hat in a pot of gold and I will add the picture and the link to the video I followed.

How will I use this in the classroom?

As someone who rarely ever did directed drawing activities in school I will be adding this to my visual arts units. I believe it gives student or people that do not have confidence drawing a great opportunity to draw things that interest them.